Cinque Terre from La Spezia
Thanks to its close proximity to port, Cinque Terre is an ideal day trip from La Spezia. Our tour includes the best of the villages plus Portovenere, the high lookout from San Bernardino, and the panoramic hilltop road.
A NOTE ABOUT DRIVING TIMES
Driving times from La Spezia to the Cinque Terre are not heavy but the driving is definitely best left to a pro!
Our signature tour includes the loveliest and most indicative places of the area: Portovenere, Manarola, Vernazza, Corniglia, the hamlet of San Bernardino and the panoramic road.
▶︎ Clients with limited mobility should refer to our Easy Cinque Terre itinerary.
DETAILS: CINQUE TERRE from La Spezia
Today, in the midst of the throng of shops, restaurants and tourists, it's hard to imagine the Cinque Terre (which means "Five Lands") as sleepy fishing villages. The old-world charm can still be felt, however, and the stunning Ligurian coastline hasn't changed. Although farming has largely been replaced by tourism, excellent white wine is still produced in the area, as evidenced by the terraced vineyards. If you're lucky you may see one of the ingenious little trams used to harvest the grapes.
It's no surprise that the Parco Nazionale delle Cinque Terre is a Unesco World Environmental and Cultural Heritage site. It's also a a Nature Sanctuary, with many delightful trails. If you love to hike we have an itinerary that includes the trail from Vernazza to Corniglia.
We recommend you take the ferry to travel between the villages. Frankly the view from the sea is better than being in town! If the ferry isn't running due to rough seas or bad weather you can take the train or we'll take you by car. Note that cars aren't permitted in the villages, and the route you'll take on foot from where we can park is quite steep in most places.
The schedule gives you time to sit down for lunch, which is a key component of this tour! There are gobs of good restaurants, and of course seafood takes centre stage. Your driver can help you with recommendations.
Our signature Cinque Terre itinerary is typically as follows*:
- 08.30-09.00 drive to Portovenere
- 09.00-10.00 visit Portovenere
- 10.00-10.45 take the ferry from Portovenere to Manarola (on your own; driver takes vehicle to meet up with you in Vernazza)
- 10.45-11.45 visit Manarola
- 11.45-12.05 take the ferry from Manarola to Vernazza
- 12.05-14.15 visit Vernazza, have lunch if you wish (not included in the rate)
- 14.15-14.30 meet up with driver-guide and vehicle, drive to Corniglia
- 14.30-15.15 visit Corniglia
- 15.15-15.30 drive to San Bernardino
- 15.30-16.00 quick look around San Bernardino
- 16.00 head back to port on the panoramic hilltop road
- 17.00 back at the ship
A 09.30 start is also possible, with a slightly different arrangement of the schedule.
*This itinerary is for illustrative purposes only; reality may vary based on many factors. We may also need to adjust the start time; please refer to your confirmation for the final details.
CINQUE TERRE from La Spezia
DURATION 8.5 hrs (can be customized to be shorter)
OTHER COSTS & NOTES
The following rates for optional items that we book for you are valid if you pay in cash, and reflect 10% off the full rates that apply when paying by card or Paypal.
- CINQUE TERRE OTHER COSTS
- The ferry (from Portovenere to Vernazza, "one way with stops") costs 30 Euro pp for those 12 yrs of age and up, 15 Euro for children 6-11. The fee is to be paid directly in cash at the ferry kiosk. The ferry is subject to sea and weather conditions, and cannot be pre-booked.
- A local guide who can accompany you on foot is available for an additional 300 Euro (must be arranged in advance).
- IMPORTANT THINGS TO NOTE
- The Cinque Terre is NOT WELL-SUITED for anyone in a wheelchair or with mobility issues. Our Easy Cinque Terre itinerary is recommended for these situations, available from both Livorno and La Spezia.
- The Via dell'Amore is still closed with no known reopening date.
- If the ferry is not running you can travel between the villages by local train, which costs a few Euro (out of pocket expense).
- Your driver-guide will not accompany through the villages; they must take the vehicle to meet you at the other end.
- The conditions and availability of certain features are ever-changing in the Cinque Terre and we reserve the right to make changes to your itinerary based on the situation on the day of your service, or to substitute a different service in the event of severe storm warnings.
look for other excursions from La Spezia
Otherwise you can search:ALPHABETICALLY BY PORT
BY AREA OF INTEREST
BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
- Etna & Taormina from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto with private guide all day
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from La Spezia
- Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from La Spezia
- Easy Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Florence & Pisa from La Spezia
- Florence from La Spezia
- Lucca & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from La Spezia
- Lucca, Pisa & the Grotta del Vento
- Portofino & Portovenere from La Spezia
- Authentic Tuscany (countryside, villages, artisan cheese & pasta)
- Chianti Winery Tour & Tasting
- Chianti’s Charming Villages
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from Livorno
- Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Cooking Class in Tuscany
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from Livorno
- Easy Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Florence & Lucca
- Florence & Pisa from Livorno
- Florence & Pisa plus a taste of Chianti
- Florence & San Gimignano
- Florence & The Mall
- Florence for Kids & Pisa
- Jewish Treasures of Tuscany from Livorno
- Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from Livorno
- Lucca & San Gimignano or Volterra + optional winery
- Lucca half day (4 hrs)
- Pisa half day (4 hrs)
- San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
- San Gimignano, Siena & Monteriggioni Castle
- Volterra (5-7 hrs)
- Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
- Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region
- Etna & Taormina from Messina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Messina (opt. winery)
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina with private guide