Cinque Terre & Pisa from La Spezia
Cinque Terre & Pisa from La Spezia: the glory of nature, the charm of old world fishing villages, and the wonder of the Leaning Tower.
A NOTE ABOUT DRIVING TIMES
La Spezia-Pisa, 1 hr. Pisa-Portovenere, 1.5 hrs.
Vernazza-La Spezia 60 min (including time to stop for photos).
Our signature day trip includes the best of the Cinque Terre area — Portovenere, Manarola & Vernazza — plus the panoramic road and Pisa.
▶︎ Limited mobility? Please refer to our Easy Cinque Terre itinerary.
DETAILS: CINQUE TERRE & PISA from La Spezia
Set against cliffs rising dramatically from the sea, the Cinque Terre is sure to be a place you will never forget.
Nature enthusiasts will be glad to know that the Parco Nazionale delle Cinque Terre is a Nature Sanctuary, as well as a Unesco World Environmental and Cultural Heritage site. In the Cinque Terre there are no cars and no noise; nature steals the scene!
If you love to shop and eat you will be in hog heaven. The villages are brimming with boutiques, ice cream shops, and terraces where you can enjoy a drink or bite to eat. In high season there's a lot of hustle and bustle, but if you look beyond the crowds you will see that the charm of a bygone era still abounds.
One of the best things about the Cinque Terre is seeing things from the sea, so we recommend you take the ferry to travel from Portovenere to the other villages on the itinerary. (The ferry is also convenient because it lets you off right at the level of the village.) If the ferry isn't running you can take the regional train or we'll take you with the vehicle.
This schedule is pretty fast-paced but sitting down for a great lunch is an important part of it! The Cinque Terre boasts many fine restaurants and some of the best seafood in the world. The region is also known for its refreshing white wine that you should be sure to sample. Your driver-guide can help you with suggestions of places to eat. (Note that we get no payola for giving restaurant recommendations).
We don’t have much flexibility with the schedule as it is tied to the rather limited ferry schedule.
Our classic tour of the Cinque Terre & Pisa from La Spezia typically goes as follows*:
- 08.30-09.30 drive to Pisa
- 09.30-10.15 Pisa
- 10:15-11.45 drive to Portovenere
- 11.45-13.45 Portovenere (have lunch if you wish)
- 13.45-14.30 ferry to Manarola
- 14.30-15.30 Manarola
- 15.30-15.50 ferry to Vernazza
- 15.50-16.45 Vernazza
- 16.45-17.30 drive back to port
Also available with a 09.30 start.
*This itinerary is for illustrative purposes only; reality may vary based on many factors. We may also need to adjust the start time; please refer to your confirmation for the final details.
On Pisa's “Campo dei Miracoli” you will find not only the world’s most famous bell tower but also the cathedral, baptistery and cemetery, which are all remarkable monuments.
Although our visit of Pisa is brief, there is time to climb the Leaning Tower; it only takes 15 minutes. We can pre-book tickets for you (see the bottom of the page for costs). You'll still have time to see how many creative shots you can get of your group "holding up" the Leaning Tower.
- The Tower climb is OPTIONAL for an additional fee and must be pre-booked. Children under 8 not permitted to climb.
- If you'd like to enter the baptistery (acoustics demonstration on the hour and half hour) or campo santo, tickets should be booked in advance.
- The Pisa cathedral does not open til 10am. We don't recommend going inside but if it's imperative you should let us know in advance. (Note that in some cases it might not be possible to modify the schedule to accommodate this.)
CINQUE TERRE & PISA from La Spezia
DURATION 9 hrs
OTHER COSTS & NOTES
The following rates for optional items that we book for you are valid if you pay in cash, and reflect 10% off the full rates that apply when paying by card or Paypal.
- CINQUE TERRE OTHER COSTS
- The ferry (from Portovenere to Vernazza, "one way with stops") costs 27 Euro pp for those 12 yrs of age and up, 15 Euro for children 6-11 (prices to be confirmed for 2020). The fee is to be paid directly in cash at the ferry kiosk. The ferry is subject to sea and weather conditions, and cannot be pre-booked.
- A local guide who can accompany you on foot is available for an additional 300 Euro (must be arranged in advance).
- PISA OTHER COSTS
- Leaning Tower of Pisa (open daily), 22 Euro per person
Children under the age of 8 are not permitted to climb the Leaning Tower. The price of pre-booked tickets is subject to change (due to increases implemented by the issuing organization and not having to do with us).
- IMPORTANT THINGS TO NOTE
- The Cinque Terre is NOT WELL-SUITED for anyone in a wheelchair or with mobility issues. Our Easy Cinque Terre itinerary is recommended for these situations, available from both Livorno and La Spezia.
- The Via dell'Amore is still closed with no known reopening date.
- If the ferry is not running you can travel between the villages by local train, which costs a few Euro (out of pocket expense).
- Your driver-guide will not accompany through the villages; they must take the vehicle to meet you at the other end.
- The conditions and availability of certain features are ever-changing in the Cinque Terre and we reserve the right to make changes to your itinerary based on the situation on the day of your service, or to substitute a different service in the event of severe storm warnings.
look for other excursions from La Spezia
Otherwise you can search:ALPHABETICALLY BY PORT
BY AREA OF INTEREST
BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
- Etna & Taormina from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto with private guide all day
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from La Spezia
- Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from La Spezia
- Easy Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Florence & Pisa from La Spezia
- Florence from La Spezia
- Lucca & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from La Spezia
- Lucca, Pisa & the Grotta del Vento
- Portofino & Portovenere from La Spezia
- Authentic Tuscany (countryside, villages, artisan cheese & pasta)
- Chianti Winery Tour & Tasting
- Chianti’s Charming Villages
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from Livorno
- Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Cooking Class in Tuscany
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from Livorno
- Easy Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Florence & Lucca
- Florence & Pisa from Livorno
- Florence & Pisa plus a taste of Chianti
- Florence & San Gimignano
- Florence & The Mall
- Florence for Kids & Pisa
- Jewish Treasures of Tuscany from Livorno
- Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from Livorno
- Lucca & San Gimignano or Volterra + optional winery
- Lucca half day (4 hrs)
- Pisa half day (4 hrs)
- San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
- San Gimignano, Siena & Monteriggioni Castle
- Volterra (5-7 hrs)
- Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
- Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region
- Etna & Taormina from Messina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Messina (opt. winery)
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina with private guide