Etna & Taormina with private guide from Messina (opt. winery)
Mt. Etna and the town of Taormina: amazing things made by man and nature.
A NOTE ABOUT DRIVING TIMES
About 3.5 hours in total (a bit more if you include the winery).
The typical schedule to Etna & Taormina (without the optional winery) from the port of Messina is:
- 08.30 pickup at the ship
- 10.00-11.30 Mt. Etna
- 12.30-15.30 Taormina
- 16.30 back at the ship
ETNA & TAORMINA WITH PRIVATE GUIDE from Messina
In Sicily we are able to offer an exceptional level of service for a moderate price. Here you can have both a driver AND a private guide for not a whole lot more than our standard driver-guide service. It's great because the guide can accompany you when you leave the vehicle, which makes visiting places a richer experience.
Perched high on a cliff overlooking the Ionian Sea, Taormina is a beautiful place with a great story to tell. It was inhabited prior to the the arrival of the Ancient Greeks, who established Taormina as one their earliest colonies in Sicily. Today you can touch still touch this part of Taormina's past by visiting the Greek Theatre, which is in excellent condition and offers stunning views of the brilliant blue sea with Mt. Etna beyond. (If history and scenery aren't your thing there are lots of shops and restaurants to explore.)
Over the millennia, as in so many parts of Sicily, Taormina has been influenced by many diverse peoples and cultures -- everything from the Moors to the Normans to the Crown of Aragon to the Bourbons -- which can still be seen in its architecture. Its prosperity has endured throughout the various eras, evidenced today by the elegance and size of its cathedral and many of its buildings.
By the end of the 19th century Taormina had become a haven for artists, writers and intellectuals, attracting such notable visitors as Oscar Wilde, Richard Wagner and Tsar Nicholas II. Today the town is host to a variety of arts festivals encompassing film, music, dance and theatre.
Declared by UNESCO as one of the “more emblematic and active volcanoes in the world", Mt. Etna dominates the eastern landscape of Sicily. As Europe's most active volcano, it attracts both scientists and curious tourists alike.
We'll take you by car as high as the Silvestri crater (about a 40 minute drive from the base to 6500 feet above sea level). Here, if the day is clear, you can enjoy spectacular views of the surrounding terrain and sea as you walk around the lunar landscape of the volcano.
Time and interest permitting we can stop to taste some of the famous local honey. With so much citrus in the area, most of it comes from orange blossoms, but eucalyptus and wild flower honey can be found as well. Beekeeping is a matter of pride on the southeastern slopes of Etna, where making honey has been honed into an art form.
ETNA & TAORMINA WITH PRIVATE GUIDE from Messina
DURATION: 8-9 hrs
The rates include vehicle & driver PLUS the private guide all day. Because we need to leave a spot in the van for the guide, the maximum number of passengers in a minivan is 7. Groups of 8 will require a larger vehicle and a supplement of 120 Euro applies.
OTHER COSTS & NOTES
These wine tasting rates are valid if you pay in cash, and reflect 10% off the full rates that apply when paying by card or Paypal.
OPTIONAL WINE TASTING
- "Only Wine" (5 wines + water and bread), 28 Euro pp
- "Full" (4 wines + marinated vegetables, cheeses, cured meats, grilled sausages, water, bread and dessert), 39 Euro pp Barone di Villagrande
- Guided tasting of 5 wines + a selection of finger foods, 45 Euro pp for adults and teens drinking wine, 25 Euro pp for non-drinking youths and children
Look for other excursions from Messina
Otherwise you can search:ALPHABETICALLY BY PORT
BY AREA OF INTEREST
BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
- Etna & Taormina from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto with private guide all day
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from La Spezia
- Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from La Spezia
- Easy Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Florence & Pisa from La Spezia
- Florence from La Spezia
- Lucca & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from La Spezia
- Lucca, Pisa & the Grotta del Vento
- Portofino & Portovenere from La Spezia
- Authentic Tuscany (countryside, villages, artisan cheese & pasta)
- Chianti Winery Tour & Tasting
- Chianti’s Charming Villages
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from Livorno
- Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Cooking Class in Tuscany
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from Livorno
- Easy Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Florence & Lucca
- Florence & Pisa from Livorno
- Florence & Pisa plus a taste of Chianti
- Florence & San Gimignano
- Florence & The Mall
- Florence for Kids & Pisa
- Jewish Treasures of Tuscany from Livorno
- Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from Livorno
- Lucca & San Gimignano or Volterra + optional winery
- Lucca half day (4 hrs)
- Pisa half day (4 hrs)
- San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
- San Gimignano, Siena & Monteriggioni Castle
- Volterra (5-7 hrs)
- Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
- Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region
- Etna & Taormina from Messina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Messina (opt. winery)
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina with private guide