Lucca, Pisa & the Grotta del Vento
Great variety, great for families! Lucca and Pisa are naturally kid-friendly, and the Grotta del Vento is an amazing feat of nature sure to delight everyone.
A NOTE ABOUT DRIVING TIMES
Be prepared for a fair amount of miles.
La Spezia-Grotta del Vento, 2 hrs; Grotta del Vento-Lucca, 1 hr; Lucca-Pisa, 30 min; Pisa-La Spezia, 1 hr.
This day is packed with wonders of man and nature. Stroll or bike along Lucca’s ancient walls, “hold up” the Leaning Tower of Pisa, and feel the power of the wind in the Grotta del Vento as you marvel at shimmering stalactites and stalagmites.
DETAILS: LUCCA, PISA & THE GROTTA DEL VENTO
The itinerary is as follows:
- 08.00-10.00 drive to the Grotta del Vento
- 10.00-11.00 visit the Grotta del Vento
- 11.00-12.00 drive to Lucca
- 12.00-14.45 visit Lucca
- 14.45-15.15 drive to Pisa
- 15.15-16.00 visit the Field of Miracles
- 16.00-17.00 drive back to port
If you have young children, Lucca is a great kid-friendly place. You can stroll the ancient wall and let your kids run off some steam, or rent bikes (for reasonable cost) and cruise around together. There are lots of big shade trees so it is quite pleasant even in the heat of summer. Climbing Guinigi Tower is a great way to get some exercise and there is no minimum age requirement (as compared to the Leaning Tower of Pisa, where kids have to be at least 8 to climb).
If you think the top of the wall is cool, wait til you see underneath it! The cavernous, brick-vaulted interior of the wall (yes, the wall is so massive that there are warehouse-sized spaces inside it) is not only a beautiful and peaceful space but also home to crazy works of art in paper. Every two years Lucca is home to the world's biggest festival of paper art, the Lucca Biennale.
Lucca also features beautiful shops (major fashion brands as well as boutiques brimming with artisan creations), really good gelato and excellent cuisine.
Our agenda in Lucca includes:
- a panoramic drive around the ancient walls
- the Romanesque church of San Frediano (monumental golden mosaic on the facade)
- Piazza dell’Anfiteatro, site of the former Roman amphitheater
- church of San Michele in Foro (intricately carved facade dating back to the 13th Century)
- Piazza Napoleone
- the cathedral of San Martino, featuring Jacopo della Quercia's sculpture of Ilaria del Carretto, deemed the most beautiful funerary monument in Italy and a work of art to compare with Michelangelo’s David, and the Volto Santo, a wooden crucifix dating back to the 8th century, the subject of much lore.
On Pisa's “Campo dei Miracoli” you will find not only the world’s most famous bell tower but also the cathedral, baptistery and cemetery, which are all remarkable monuments.
Although our visit of Pisa is brief, there is time to climb the Leaning Tower; it only takes 15 minutes. We can pre-book tickets for you (see the bottom of the page for costs). You'll still have time to see how many creative shots you can get of your group "holding up" the Leaning Tower.
- The Tower climb is OPTIONAL for an additional fee and must be pre-booked. Children under 8 not permitted to climb.
- If you'd like to enter the baptistery (acoustics demonstration on the hour and half hour) or campo santo, tickets should be booked in advance.
- The Pisa cathedral does not open til 10am. We don't recommend going inside but if it's imperative you should let us know in advance. (Note that in some cases it might not be possible to modify the schedule to accommodate this.)
LUCCA, PISA & THE GROTTA DEL VENTO from La Spezia
DURATION: 9 hrs
OTHER COSTS & NOTES
The following rates for optional items that we book for you are valid if you pay in cash, and reflect 10% off the full rates that apply when paying by card or Paypal.
- PISA OTHER COSTS
- Leaning Tower of Pisa (open daily), 25 Euro per person
Children under the age of 8 are not permitted to climb the Leaning Tower. The price of pre-booked tickets is subject to change (due to increases implemented by the issuing organization and not having to do with us).
- THE GROTTA DEL VENTO
- The entrance fee for the Grotta del Vento is 9 Euro per person (7 Euro for children under the age of 10), paid directly to the admission desk
- CHURCH DRESS CODE
Proper attire is required to enter churches (bare shoulders must be covered and shorts/skirts must come down to your knees).
look for other excursions from La Spezia
Otherwise you can search:ALPHABETICALLY BY PORT
BY AREA OF INTEREST
BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
- Etna & Taormina from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto with private guide all day
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from La Spezia
- Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from La Spezia
- Easy Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Florence & Pisa from La Spezia
- Florence from La Spezia
- Lucca & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from La Spezia
- Lucca, Pisa & the Grotta del Vento
- Portofino & Portovenere from La Spezia
- Authentic Tuscany (countryside, villages, artisan cheese & pasta)
- Chianti Winery Tour & Tasting
- Chianti’s Charming Villages
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from Livorno
- Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Cooking Class in Tuscany
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from Livorno
- Easy Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Florence & Lucca
- Florence & Pisa from Livorno
- Florence & Pisa plus a taste of Chianti
- Florence & San Gimignano
- Florence & The Mall
- Florence for Kids & Pisa
- Jewish Treasures of Tuscany from Livorno
- Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from Livorno
- Lucca & San Gimignano or Volterra + optional winery
- Lucca half day (4 hrs)
- Pisa half day (4 hrs)
- San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
- San Gimignano, Siena & Monteriggioni Castle
- Volterra (5-7 hrs)
- Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
- Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region
- Etna & Taormina from Messina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Messina (opt. winery)
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina with private guide