Antibes, St. Paul de Vence, Gourdon & Grasse
Picturesque villages and breathtaking views. Provençal markets, local handicrafts and perfume.
A NOTE ABOUT DRIVING TIMES
Distances in this part of France are reasonable; figure 90 minutes of driving time with no traffic. In summer travel times will be slightly longer.
DETAILS: ANTIBES, ST. PAUL DE VENCE, GOURDON & GRASSE from Cannes or Antibes
Once a quiet haven that attracted artists such as Picasso and Nicolas de Staël, Antibes is a lively resort town on the French Riviera. Nowadays it's hard imagine it as a Medieval feudal town that the Pope used as collateral on a loan he couldn't repay. After passing into the hands of the future ruling family of Monaco in 1384 it became the easternmost port of the Kingdom of France, where its important position resulted in the construction of fortifications that became Fort Carré, which is still in good condition.
Antibes is very pretty and very pleasant to stroll, with stunning views up and down the coast. Every day but Monday you can browse the Provençal market with its impressive selection of local cheeses, produce, seafood and meats. In local galleries you will find original works of art featuring paintings of local scenes.
St. Paul de Vence
Standing on a rocky spur in the back country of the French Riviera, St. Paul de Vence is one of the oldest Medieval places in the Côte d'Azur and perhaps one of the most beautiful villages in all of France. Besides giving you spectacular views of the surrounding terrain, the village is a living testament to its rich past; the 16th century bastioned fortifications that encircle the city are still marvelously intact.
Today Saint Paul is a flourishing center for art and artists, noted for its many art galleries and museums. Here you will find beautiful shops, many featuring local handicrafts, nestled among the stone buildings and abounding bougainvillea.
Fondly known as the “balcony of the Côte d’Azur”, Gourdon is also considered to be one of the most beautiful villages in France. History and architecture buffs will appreciate it as a fine example of a Feudal village; all visitors will enjoy the breathtaking views from its height of 2500 feet. Lovingly restored houses and fascinating goods in the handicraft stores are an integral aspects of the hamlet’s overall charm.
Grasse, the perfume capital of the world, is embedded in the lush hlll country north of Cannes, offering the visitor a stunning view over the Mediterranean. All year round there is a scent of perfume in the air. You will have the chance to visit one of the oldest perfume factories in the region.
ANTIBES, ST. PAUL DE VENCE, GOURDON & GRASSE from Cannes or Antibes
DURATION: 8 hrs
look for other excursions from Cannes or Antibes
Otherwise you can search:ALPHABETICALLY BY PORT
BY AREA OF INTEREST
BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
- Etna & Taormina from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto with private guide all day
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from La Spezia
- Easy Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Florence & Pisa from La Spezia
- Florence from La Spezia
- Lucca & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from La Spezia
- Portofino & Portovenere from La Spezia
- Authentic Tuscany (countryside, villages, artisan cheese & pasta)
- Chianti Winery Tour & Tasting
- Chianti’s Charming Villages
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from Livorno
- Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Cooking Class in Tuscany
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from Livorno
- Easy Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Florence & Lucca
- Florence & Pisa from Livorno
- Florence & Pisa plus a taste of Chianti
- Florence & San Gimignano
- Florence & The Mall
- Florence for Kids & Pisa
- Jewish Treasures of Tuscany from Livorno
- Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from Livorno
- Lucca & San Gimignano or Volterra + optional winery
- Lucca half day (4 hrs)
- San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
- San Gimignano, Siena & Monteriggioni Castle
- Volterra (5-7 hrs)
- Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
- Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region
- Etna & Taormina from Messina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Messina (opt. winery)
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina with private guide