Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
A day of brilliant contrasts and exceptional wines off the beaten path.
A NOTE ABOUT DRIVING TIMES
Livorno-Pisa, 25-30 min, Pisa-Volterra, 75 min; Volterra-Livorno, 75 min
A quick stop in Pisa to see the Leaning Tower followed by a long, pleasant drive through the Tuscan countryside to the Medieval splendor of Volterra. Wine lovers will love La Spinetta winery.
Visiting Pisa first allows us to beat the crowds and the heat, which is a good thing in summer if you want to climb the Leaning Tower.
On Pisa's “Campo dei Miracoli” you will find not only the world’s most famous bell tower but also the cathedral, baptistery and cemetery, which are all remarkable monuments.
Although our visit of Pisa is brief, there is time to climb the Leaning Tower; it only takes 15 minutes. You'll still have time to see how many creative shots you can get of your group "holding up" the Leaning Tower.
- The Tower climb is OPTIONAL for an additional fee and must be pre-booked. Children under 8 not permitted to climb.
- If you'd like to enter the baptistery (acoustics demonstration on the hour and half hour) or campo santo, tickets should be booked in advance.
- The Pisa cathedral does not open til 10am. Frankly we don't recommend going inside but if it's imperative you should let us know in advance. Note that with some excursions it might not be possible to modify the schedule to accommodate this.
Like San Gimignano, Volterra seems to have been plucked right out the Medieval epoch. The once Etruscan city sits high on a rocky plateau and is protected by Medieval ramparts. You are in a place where the magic of history is still alive!
Volterra is also noted for its alabaster, which comes from the surrounding hills. You will find an array of gorgeous hand crafted alabaster objects on every corner.
An audio guided tour, not too long and very well done, is available in the tourist office in Piazza dei Priori for a reasonable fee.
We have permission to park in the historic center of Volterra, saving you the grief of the many, many stairs one must take from public and bus parking.
In Volterra highlights include:
- Piazza dei Priori and the clocktower (made famous by the Twilight series)
- Beautiful shops and boutiques of all sorts
- The Roman theatre
- The 2,500 year old Etruscan wall, a section of which still stands
- Pinacoteca Comunale, with many fine works from the 14th-17th C, including the spectacular Deposition by Rosso Fiorentino
- World-renowned Guarnacci Etruscan museum
- A fascinating torture museum
- Many lookout points from which to enjoy the spectacular countryside
La Spinetta winery near Terricciola is a striking, modern facility that offers an expansive sampling in their light-filled tasting room overlooking the vineyards. Although this facility is in the heart of Tuscany you can sample products from their world-class wineries in three regions of Italy. An experience not be missed if you are passionate about wine. We consider this wine region is one of the best kept secrets of Tuscany.
DURATION: up to 9 hrs
OTHER COSTS & NOTES
The following rates for optional items that we book for you are valid if you pay in cash, and reflect 10% off the full rates that apply when paying by card or Paypal.
- PISA OTHER COSTS
- Leaning Tower of Pisa (open daily), 22 Euro per person
Children under the age of 8 are not permitted to climb the Leaning Tower. The price of pre-booked tickets is subject to change (due to increases implemented by the issuing organization and not having to do with us).
- OPTIONAL WINERY
- Tour and guided tasting at La Spinetta, 25 Euro per person
look for other excursions from Livorno
Otherwise you can search:ALPHABETICALLY BY PORT
BY AREA OF INTEREST
BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
- Chianti Winery Tour & Tasting
- Chianti’s Charming Villages
- Cinque Terre
- Cinque Terre & Pisa
- Cooking Class in Chianti
- Cooking Class in San Miniato
- Easy Cinque Terre
- Florence & Lucca
- Florence & Pisa
- Florence & Pisa plus a taste of Chianti
- Florence & San Gimignano
- Florence & The Mall
- Florence for Kids & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo
- Lucca & San Gimignano or Volterra + optional winery
- Lucca half day (4 hrs)
- Pisa half day (4 hrs)
- San Gimignano & Siena
- San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
- Volterra (5-7 hrs)
- Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
- Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region