Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
A day of brilliant contrasts and exceptional wines off the beaten path.
A NOTE ABOUT DRIVING TIMES
Livorno-Pisa, 25-30 min, Pisa-Volterra, 75 min; Volterra-Livorno, 75 min
A quick stop in Pisa to see the Leaning Tower followed by a long, pleasant drive through the Tuscan countryside to the Medieval splendor of Volterra.
Wine lovers with a taste for lesser-known but high-quality wines will want to add the optional winery in Terricciola.
Without the winery this service lasts 7-8 hrs. With the winery you’d be looking at a full 9-hour excursion.
Visiting Pisa first allows us to beat the crowds and the heat, which is a good thing in summer if you want to climb the Leaning Tower.
On Pisa's “Campo dei Miracoli” you will find not only the world’s most famous bell tower but also the cathedral, baptistery and cemetery, which are all remarkable monuments.
Although our visit of Pisa is brief, there is time to climb the Leaning Tower; it only takes 15 minutes. We can pre-book tickets for you (see the bottom of the page for costs). You'll still have time to see how many creative shots you can get of your group "holding up" the Leaning Tower.
- The Tower climb is OPTIONAL for an additional fee and must be pre-booked. Children under 8 not permitted to climb.
- If you'd like to enter the baptistery (acoustics demonstration on the hour and half hour) or campo santo, tickets should be booked in advance.
- The Pisa cathedral does not open til 10am. We don't recommend going inside but if it's imperative you should let us know in advance. (Note that in some cases it might not be possible to modify the schedule to accommodate this.)
Like San Gimignano, Volterra seems to have been plucked right out the Medieval epoch. The once Etruscan city sits high on a rocky plateau and is protected by Medieval ramparts. You are in a place where the magic of history is still alive!
Volterra is also noted for its alabaster, which comes from the surrounding hills. You will find an array of gorgeous hand crafted alabaster objects on every corner.
We have permission to bring you right up to the main rotonda of Volterra, just a few steps from Piazza dei Priori, saving you the grief of the many, many stairs one must take from public and bus parking.
In Volterra the tour highlights include:
- Piazza dei Priori and the clocktower (made famous by the Twilight series)
- Beautiful shops and boutiques of all sorts
- The Roman theatre
- The 2,500 year old Etruscan wall, a section of which still stands
- Pinacoteca Comunale, with many fine works from the 14th-17th C, including the spectacular Deposition by Rosso Fiorentino
- World-renowned Guarnacci Etruscan museum
- A fascinating torture museum
- Many lookout points from which to enjoy the spectacular countryside
We consider the Terricciola wine region one of the best kept secrets of Tuscany.
If you’d like to add the winery you have two options:
- Wine tasting at La Spinetta in Casanova:
- Wine tasting + lunch at Le Palaie in Peccioli:
La Spinetta is a striking, modern facility that offers an expansive sampling in their light-filled tasting room overlooking the vineyards. You can taste products from this family’s world-class wineries in three regions of Italy, everything from sparkling white wine to hearty reds. This option will enable you spend ample time in Volterra and have lunch there if you wish.
Enjoy the estate’s sparkling rosé, three distinct reds, and gorgeous dessert wine as you enjoy an ample Tuscan lunch. This option will give you about 2 hours in Volterra.
Without the winery, 7-8 hrs.
With the winery, a full 9-hour excursion.
OTHER COSTS & NOTES
The following rates for optional items that we book for you are valid if you pay in cash, and reflect 10% off the full rates that apply when paying by card or Paypal.
- PISA OTHER COSTS
- Leaning Tower of Pisa (open daily), 25 Euro per person
Children under the age of 8 are not permitted to climb the Leaning Tower. The price of pre-booked tickets is subject to change (due to increases implemented by the issuing organization and not having to do with us).
- OPTIONAL WINERY
- Tour and guided tasting accompanied by cheeses and cured meats at La Spinetta, cost tba for 2023
- Tour, guided tasting, and lunch at Le Palaie, 52 Euro per person
look for other excursions from Livorno
Otherwise you can search:ALPHABETICALLY BY PORT
BY AREA OF INTEREST
BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
- Etna & Taormina from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto with private guide all day
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from La Spezia
- Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from La Spezia
- Easy Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Florence & Pisa from La Spezia
- Florence from La Spezia
- Lucca & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from La Spezia
- Portofino & Portovenere from La Spezia
- Authentic Tuscany (countryside, villages, artisan cheese & pasta)
- Chianti Winery Tour & Tasting
- Chianti’s Charming Villages
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from Livorno
- Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Cooking Class in Tuscany
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from Livorno
- Easy Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Florence & Lucca
- Florence & Pisa from Livorno
- Florence & Pisa plus a taste of Chianti
- Florence & San Gimignano
- Florence & The Mall
- Florence for Kids & Pisa
- Jewish Treasures of Tuscany from Livorno
- Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from Livorno
- Lucca & San Gimignano or Volterra + optional winery
- Lucca half day (4 hrs)
- San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
- San Gimignano, Siena & Monteriggioni Castle
- Volterra (5-7 hrs)
- Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
- Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region
- Etna & Taormina from Messina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Messina (opt. winery)
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina with private guide