Portofino & Portovenere
Beauty, beauty and more beauty!
A NOTE ABOUT DRIVING TIMES
Driving times are quite long, about 3.5 hours in total. Due to traffic congestion in summer, getting in and out of Portofino can mean even more time inside the vehicle.
Portofino is a world where natural splendor meets man made luxury. This small paradise welcomes common folk and VIP’s from all around the world, curious to know the reason why such a tiny place is so adored.
Thanks to its protected location, Portofino has been a working port since antiquity. Even in Greek times, Portus Delphinus was a thriving center.
Today the beauty of nature and the thriving scene are still preserved for us. We are allowed privileged access to the restricted pedestrian area where your adventure begins.
Your itinerary could include:
- The Oratory of Santa Maria Assunta and the Cristi, a huge crucifix carried through the town during religious festivals
- The church of San Giorgio on the promontory, with its extraordinary view of the village
- A trek through the verdant Regional Park to the lighthouse and the terrace overlooking tranquil Tigullio Gulf
Before you leave, don’t forget to lounge on a sunny terrace and sip a coffee or sparkly beverage!
The history of Portovenere is long and interesting, dating back to the 1st Century BC, but most folks simply enjoy it for its charm. One of the main attractions is the imposing 13th Century church of St. Peter with its striking black and white stripes; as you approach it you may feel as if you’re in the land that time forgot!
Literature lovers will remember that Lord Byron swam across the gulf of La Spezia from the grotto now named after him to visit Percy Bysshe Shelley in 1822. (Sadly, the grotto has since collapsed.)
Portovenere has evolved from fishing community during Roman times to base of the Byzantine fleet after the fall of the Western Roman Empire to gateway to Cinque Terre today: a living picture postcard of lush green terrain set against the brilliant blue sea.
DURATION 8 hrs (a bit flexible, depending on your dock times)
look for other excursions from Portofino
Otherwise you can search:ALPHABETICALLY BY PORT
BY AREA OF INTEREST
BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
- Chianti Winery Tour & Tasting
- Chianti’s Charming Villages
- Cinque Terre
- Cinque Terre & Pisa
- Cooking Class in Chianti
- Cooking Class in San Miniato
- Easy Cinque Terre
- Florence & Lucca
- Florence & Pisa
- Florence & Pisa plus a taste of Chianti
- Florence & San Gimignano
- Florence & The Mall
- Florence for Kids & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo
- Lucca & San Gimignano or Volterra + optional winery
- Lucca half day (4 hrs)
- Pisa half day (4 hrs)
- San Gimignano & Siena
- San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
- Volterra (5-7 hrs)
- Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
- Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region