Pompei & Mt. Vesuvius + optional winery or pizza in Naples
The ruins at Pompei and the volcano of Vesuvius: a great choice for active folks and families wanting a shorter touring day.
A NOTE ABOUT DRIVING TIMES
From Naples or Sorrento the travel times don’t get much shorter than this.
The schedule is typically as follows:
- 08.30 pickup at the ship
- 08.30-09.00 drive to Pompei
- 09.00-11.00 Pompei
- 11.00-12.00 drive to Mt. Vesuvius
- 12.00-13.00 short talk by ranger, explore the Volcano
- 13.00-13.45 drive to the winery
- 13:45-15.45 Cantina del Vesuvio – winery tour, tasting and lunch
- 16.45 back at the ship
DETAILS: POMPEI & VESUVIUS from Naples
Experience life as it was in 79 AD, when Mt. Vesuvius erupted and froze the village of Pompei and its inhabitants in time. You will have a couple of hours to explore the excavations. A local guide is recommended to get the most out of your visit. See the Other Costs & Notes section for details.
Mt. Vesuvius is a super-interesting place for both adults and children. Park rangers are available on the summit to give short but interesting talks about the history of the volcano (which is still active). Besides getting beautiful views of the Sorrentine peninsula you will also get a good workout — the climb to the summit takes about 20 minutes (average 14% grade).
▶︎ Not for the mobility-impaired. The only way to reach the summit is on foot.
In the shadow of the volcano sits Cantina del Vesuvio, where you will get a taste of southern Italian hospitality with the family that has been working these volcanic slopes since 1948. The winery produces a limited number of bottles per year from Caprettone, Piedirosso, Aglianico, and Falanghina grapes, using both traditional and organic farming methods.
The winery tour, tasting and lunch lasts about 2 hours, but people tend to spend more time there, especially if the weather’s nice. If you have children have no fear; the atmosphere at the winery is kid-friendly.
If you opt for pizza in Naples instead of the winery we would be happy to recommend a pizzeria where you will get a genuine Neapolitan pizza for a fair price. Going for pizza makes this day trip shorter than 8 hours, which could be a good thing if you have long touring days before or after in ports like Livorno or Civitavecchia (Rome).
POMPEI & VESUVIUS from Naples
DURATION: about 8 hrs
OTHER COSTS & NOTES
The following rates for optional items that we book for you are valid if you pay in cash, and reflect 10% off the full rates that apply when paying by card or Paypal.
POMPEI OTHER COSTS
- Pompei ruins (open daily) 13 Euro per person, paid directly to the admission desk at time of entry (no need to pre-book)
- Local guide for 2 hours at Pompei (recommended), 130 Euro
- tour, tasting and lunch at Cantina del Vesuvio, 28 Euro pp
look for other excursions from Naples or Sorrento
Otherwise you can search:ALPHABETICALLY BY PORT
BY AREA OF INTEREST
BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from La Spezia
- Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from La Spezia
- Easy Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Florence & Pisa from La Spezia
- Lucca & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from La Spezia
- Lucca, Pisa & the Grotta del Vento
- Portofino & Portovenere from La Spezia
- Authentic Tuscany (countryside, villages, artisan cheese & pasta)
- Chianti Winery Tour & Tasting
- Chianti’s Charming Villages
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from Livorno
- Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Cooking Class in Tuscany
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from Livorno
- Easy Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Florence & Lucca
- Florence & Pisa from Livorno
- Florence & Pisa plus a taste of Chianti
- Florence & San Gimignano
- Florence & The Mall
- Florence for Kids & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from Livorno
- Lucca & San Gimignano or Volterra + optional winery
- Lucca half day (4 hrs)
- Pisa half day (4 hrs)
- San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
- San Gimignano, Siena & Monteriggioni Castle
- Volterra (5-7 hrs)
- Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
- Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region