Monaco, Èze & Antibes
A rich mix of contrasts: the sophistication of Monaco, the Medieval delightfulness of Èze and the Provençal charm of Antibes.
A NOTE ABOUT DRIVING TIMES
Distances in this part of France are reasonable; figure about 2.5 hours of driving time with no traffic. In summer travel times will be longer; you might want to consider Nice as a substitute for Monaco to cut down on driving time.
DETAILS: MONACO, ÈZE & ANTIBES from Cannes or Antibes
Although Monaco is mostly known as a playground for the rich and famous, it actually has a great many historical and modern attractions. "The little Medieval village on the rock" is now the most densely populated independent country in the world, sought after for its ideal climate, sophisticated shopping and, of course, gambling. We'll stop at the Old Casino, a palace in the Beaux Arts style, to take photographs and to hear stories of it's conception, construction and journey to becoming one of the most sophisticated gambling destinations on the globe.
In Èze you will be enchanted by the beauty of the village, its winding narrow streets and stunning views of the coast. Those interested in history will have lots to learn about; Èze has been populated for some 2,000 years and was inhabited by all sorts of ancient cultures including the Greeks, Phoenicians, Moors and Romans. In more modern times it was a fortress in the Republic of Genoa (Italy).
Once a quiet haven that attracted artists such as Picasso and Nicolas de Staël, Antibes is a lively resort town on the French Riviera. Nowadays it's hard imagine it as a Medieval feudal town that the Pope used as collateral on a loan he couldn't repay. After passing into the hands of the future ruling family of Monaco in 1384 it became the easternmost port of the Kingdom of France, where its important position resulted in the construction of fortifications that became Fort Carré, which is still in good condition.
Antibes is very pretty and very pleasant to stroll, with stunning views up and down the coast. Every day but Monday you can browse the Provençal market with its impressive selection of local cheeses, produce, seafood and meats. In local galleries you will find original works of art featuring paintings of local scenes.
MONACO, ÈZE & ANTIBES from Cannes or Antibes
DURATION: 8 hrs
look for other excursions from Cannes or Antibes
Otherwise you can search:ALPHABETICALLY BY PORT
BY AREA OF INTEREST
BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from La Spezia
- Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from La Spezia
- Easy Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Florence & Pisa from La Spezia
- Lucca & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from La Spezia
- Lucca, Pisa & the Grotta del Vento
- Portofino & Portovenere from La Spezia
- Authentic Tuscany (countryside, villages, artisan cheese & pasta)
- Chianti Winery Tour & Tasting
- Chianti’s Charming Villages
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from Livorno
- Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Cooking Class in Tuscany
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from Livorno
- Easy Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Florence & Lucca
- Florence & Pisa from Livorno
- Florence & Pisa plus a taste of Chianti
- Florence & San Gimignano
- Florence & The Mall
- Florence for Kids & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from Livorno
- Lucca & San Gimignano or Volterra + optional winery
- Lucca half day (4 hrs)
- Pisa half day (4 hrs)
- San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
- San Gimignano, Siena & Monteriggioni Castle
- Volterra (5-7 hrs)
- Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
- Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region