Cassis, Le Castellet & the Bandol wine region
Two picture-postcard villages plus wine tasting in the picturesque countryside.
A NOTE ABOUT DRIVING TIMES
Driving times are about the shortest you could ask for, a little under 2 hours in total, broken up quite evenly.
Cassis & the Calanques
On the drive to Cassis we'll pass through the picturesque landscape, dotted with umbrella pines and outcroppings of white rock. In town you will be charmed by the pastel houses and colourful fishing boats curving around the port (shoppers may prefer the lovely boutiques).
If the weather and sea conditions are good we recommend you take the boat ride to see the Calanques -- the limestone cliffs lining little inlets along the coast. On the way out of Cassis we'll stop at the top of Cap Canaille for spectacular views and photo opps.
As you stroll through the cobblestone streets of Le Castellet you may very well think, “Now this is what you come to France for!” Medieval buildings, cheerily-painted wooden shutters and abundant flowers frame the many boutiques spilling over with local handicrafts and pretty terraces where you can enjoy the delightful surroundings and a refreshment. From arched openings in the ancient wall there are great vistas of the countryside.
The Bandol wine region
Besides being extremely lovely to the eye, the Bandol region is one of Provence’s most internationally recognized wine-producing areas. The soil and warm coastal climate are ideally suited to the Mourvèdre grape, the major varietal of the region. Grenache & Cinsaut also play a important role.
DURATION: 8 hrs
OTHER COSTS & NOTES
CASSIS OTHER COSTS
- The 45-minute boat ride to view the Calanques costs approx. 16 Euro (to be confirmed for 2018), paid directly to the admission desk in cash at time of entry (cannot be pre-booked)
The ferry is optional and dependent on sea and weather conditions.
look for other excursions from Toulon
Otherwise you can search:ALPHABETICALLY BY PORT
BY AREA OF INTEREST
BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
- Authentic Tuscany (countryside, villages, artisan cheese & pasta)
- Chianti Winery Tour & Tasting
- Chianti’s Charming Villages
- Cinque Terre
- Cinque Terre & Pisa
- Cooking Class in Tuscany
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre)
- Easy Cinque Terre
- Florence & Lucca
- Florence & Pisa
- Florence & Pisa plus a taste of Chianti
- Florence & San Gimignano
- Florence & The Mall
- Florence for Kids & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo
- Lucca & San Gimignano or Volterra + optional winery
- Lucca half day (4 hrs)
- Pisa half day (4 hrs)
- San Gimignano & Siena
- San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
- Volterra (5-7 hrs)
- Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
- Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region