Montserrat (5 hrs)
A visual feast of many sorts.
About 45 minutes north of Barcelona rises Montserrat, a mountain with beautiful rock formations like long fingers stretching out towards the heavens. The monastery of Montserrat, founded by Benedictine monks and soon to celebrate 1000 years of existence, is tucked away within these massive rocks.
Besides the fantastic views that you’ll get from the mountain, the basilica is extremely ornate and features decorations of every type imaginable.
This place is very important to the people of Catalonia as it is home to their patron saint the Virgin of Montserrat, a wooden sculpture of the Virgin Mary with baby Jesus on her lap. Known to the people as “La Maroneta”, it is one of several black madonnas in Europe.
The chapel that houses the Black Virgin gets very crowded so we recommend an early start (8 or 8:30am if your ship docks early enough). If you are staying in a hotel or if your ship sails late we can also start at 2:30 or 3pm (except on Sundays) to avoid crowds.
DURATION: 5 hrs
OTHER COSTS & NOTES
FOR GROUPS OF 7 OR MORE a minibus is required.
- Please add 50 Euro for parking to the rate.
Otherwise you can search:ALPHABETICALLY BY PORT
BY AREA OF INTEREST
BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
- Chianti Winery Tour & Tasting
- Chianti’s Charming Villages
- Cinque Terre
- Cinque Terre & Pisa
- Cooking Class in Tuscany
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre)
- Easy Cinque Terre
- Florence & Lucca
- Florence & Pisa
- Florence & Pisa plus a taste of Chianti
- Florence & San Gimignano
- Florence & The Mall
- Florence for Kids & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo
- Lucca & San Gimignano or Volterra + optional winery
- Lucca half day (4 hrs)
- Pisa half day (4 hrs)
- San Gimignano & Siena
- San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
- Volterra (5-7 hrs)
- Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
- Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region