Ravello, Positano & Amalfi from Naples or Sorrento
The most spectacular places on the Amalfi coast. A paradise for lovers of formal gardens, historic dwellings, and breathtaking views.
A NOTE ABOUT DRIVING TIMES
About 4 hours in total.
The itinerary typically goes as follows but could be reversed depending on traffic.
- 07.30 pickup at the ship
- 07.30-09.15 drive to Positano
- 09.15-10.30 Positano
- 10.30-11.30 drive to Amalfi
- 11.30-12.30 Amalfi
- 12.30-13.00 drive to Ravello
- 13.00-15.15 Ravello
- 15.15-16.30 drive back to port
RAVELLO, POSITANO & AMALFI from Naples or Sorrento
Perched on a hilltop high above the Amalfi coast, Ravello is a place of spectacular beauty and breathtaking views. To get there you will take a slow uphill drive, passing picturesque vineyards and olive groves.
Yet unspoiled by tourism, Ravello boasts many architectural and historical points of interest, particularly Villa Cimbrone and Villa Rufolo, where the gardens abound with seasonal flowers and give visitors a glimpse into the village’s fascinating past. Along Via Roma you will find upscale boutiques and traditional restaurants featuring the exceptional local cuisine.
When you're sitting on the pebbled beach in Amalfi it's hard to imagine that in Medieval times this seaside town was one of the major maritime forces in the Mediterranean. Heck, you might not have even realized that there was a town of Amalfi!
Amalfi rose from simple fishing village to powerful naval Republic in the 9th Century thanks to its commercial trade with such far-flung places as Egypt, Syria and Constantinople.
Contact with the Arab world led to Amalfi becoming one of the first places in Western Europe to manufacture paper. The thick, elegant paper was quickly renowned throughout the Mediterranean. Today only one mill yet produces charta bambagina. Get the full paper experience by visiting the Museo della Carta (Paper Museum) as well as the ruins of the old mills along the Valle dei Mulini (Valley of the Mills).
Even if you are tired of seeing churches you will want to see the Duomo of Amalfi, dating back to the 9th Century. The church is truly splendid and incorporates a whole bunch of architectural styles encompassing Arab-Norman, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque, thanks to its enlargement and embellishment over many centuries.
Along the Amalfi coast a picture postcard comes to life as the vast expanse of the blue sea gives way to the craggy coast, dotted with outcroppings of rock, lush vegetation and colourful villages. In Positano you’ll feel like a jetsetter, surrounded by the elegance of designer shops and seaside cafés. Be sure to sample some limoncello, a tangy liqueur made from the celebrated local lemons.
RAVELLO, POSITANO & AMALFI from Naples or Sorrento
DURATION: 9 hrs
OTHER COSTS & NOTES
- CHURCH DRESS CODE
Proper attire is required to enter churches (bare shoulders must be covered and shorts/skirts must come down to your knees).
look for other excursions from Naples or Sorrento
Otherwise you can search:ALPHABETICALLY BY PORT
BY AREA OF INTEREST
BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
- Etna & Taormina from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto with private guide all day
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from La Spezia
- Easy Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Florence & Pisa from La Spezia
- Florence from La Spezia
- Lucca & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from La Spezia
- Portofino & Portovenere from La Spezia
- Authentic Tuscany (countryside, villages, artisan cheese & pasta)
- Chianti Winery Tour & Tasting
- Chianti’s Charming Villages
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from Livorno
- Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Cooking Class in Tuscany
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from Livorno
- Easy Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Florence & Lucca
- Florence & Pisa from Livorno
- Florence & Pisa plus a taste of Chianti
- Florence & San Gimignano
- Florence & The Mall
- Florence for Kids & Pisa
- Jewish Treasures of Tuscany from Livorno
- Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from Livorno
- Lucca & San Gimignano or Volterra + optional winery
- San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
- San Gimignano, Siena & Monteriggioni Castle
- Volterra (5-7 hrs)
- Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
- Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region
- Etna & Taormina from Messina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Messina (opt. winery)
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina with private guide