Lucca & Pisa from Florence
Lucca & Pisa: our best kid-friendly day trip from Florence!
A NOTE ABOUT DRIVING TIMES
Florence-Pisa, 75 min; Pisa-Lucca, 30 min; Lucca-Florence, 75 min
An elegant city best known for its ancient fortified walls that have been transformed into a unique urban greenspace, Lucca is also a great kid-friendly destination. The Leaning Tower of Pisa is a marvelous thing for both adults and kids, but there are many other interesting things to see in Pisa if you’d like to spend more time there.
DETAILS: LUCCA & PISA from Florence
Typically we stop in Pisa first, when crowds are fewer, but we can go to Lucca first if you want to have more time to shop.
On Pisa's “Campo dei Miracoli” you will find not only the world’s most famous bell tower but also the cathedral, baptistery and cemetery, which are all remarkable monuments.
But there's so much more to Pisa than the Leaning Tower! Discover the charming piazzas, historic buildings, and points of interest such as Keith Haring's mural on the side of the church of Sant'Antonio. Stop in Borgo Stretto for a coffee and pastry at Pasticceria Salza, do some shopping, browse the farmer's market or take a stroll through the expansive botanical gardens, one of the oldest in Italy. We'll even show you the other leaning tower of Pisa!
Remember to bring your camera and imagination for those creative shots of your group "holding up" the Leaning Tower.
- The Tower climb is OPTIONAL for an additional fee and must be pre-booked. Children under 8 not permitted to climb.
- If you'd like to enter the baptistery (acoustics demonstration on the hour and half hour) or campo santo, tickets should be booked in advance. We'd be pleased to do this for you if you wish.
- The Pisa cathedral does not open til 10am. If you'd like to go inside you should let us know in advance so we can set the schedule correctly.
If you have young children, Lucca is a great kid-friendly place. You can stroll the ancient wall and let your kids run off some steam, or rent bikes (for reasonable cost) and cruise around together. There are lots of big shade trees so it is quite pleasant even in the heat of summer. Climbing Guinigi Tower is a great way to get some exercise and there is no minimum age requirement (as compared to the Leaning Tower of Pisa, where kids have to be at least 8 to climb).
If you think the top of the wall is cool, wait til you see underneath it! The cavernous, brick-vaulted interior of the wall (yes, the wall is so massive that there are warehouse-sized spaces inside it) is not only a beautiful and peaceful space but also home to crazy works of art in paper. Every two years Lucca is home to the world's biggest festival of paper art, the Lucca Biennale.
Lucca also features beautiful shops (major fashion brands as well as boutiques brimming with artisan creations), really good gelato and excellent cuisine.
Our agenda in Lucca includes:
- a panoramic drive around the ancient walls
- the Romanesque church of San Frediano (monumental golden mosaic on the facade)
- Piazza dell’Anfiteatro, site of the former Roman amphitheater
- church of San Michele in Foro (intricately carved facade dating back to the 13th Century)
- Piazza Napoleone
- the cathedral of San Martino, featuring Jacopo della Quercia's sculpture of Ilaria del Carretto, deemed the most beautiful funerary monument in Italy and a work of art to compare with Michelangelo’s David, and the Volto Santo, a wooden crucifix dating back to the 8th century, the subject of much lore.
LUCCA & PISA from Florence
DURATION: 8 hrs
OTHER COSTS & NOTES
The following rates for optional items that we book for you are valid if you pay in cash, and reflect 10% off the full rates that apply when paying by card or Paypal.
- PISA OTHER COSTS
- Leaning Tower of Pisa (open daily), 22 Euro per person
Children under the age of 8 are not permitted to climb the Leaning Tower. The price of pre-booked tickets is subject to change (due to increases implemented by the issuing organization and not having to do with us).
- WINERY OPTIONS IN MONTECARLO DI LUCCA
- Enzo Carmignani - Tour and guided "Classica" tasting of 4 wines with a snack of local products, 20 Euro per person (lasts about 45 min)
- Tenuta del Buonamico - Formula Special: winery tour and guided tasting of 5 wines plus olive oil, 18 Euro per person (lasts about an hour)
- Tour and guided "Sensoriale" tasting of 6-8 wines with an abundant sampling of local products, 30 Euro per person (lasts about an hour)
- Tour, guided tasting and lunch, 50 Euro per person (lasts about 2 hours)
- Formula Luxury: winery tour and guided tasting of 5 wines plus olive oil and a sampling of typical Tuscan products, 25 Euro per person (lasts about an hour)
- Formula Special with Lunch: winery tour and guided tasting of 5 wines followed by 3-course lunch paired with wine, 55 Euro per person (lasts about 2 hours)
- CHURCH DRESS CODE
Proper attire is required to enter churches (bare shoulders must be covered and shorts/skirts must come down to your knees).
look for other day tours from Florence
Otherwise you can search:ALPHABETICALLY BY PORT
BY AREA OF INTEREST
BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
- Etna & Taormina from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto with private guide all day
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from La Spezia
- Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from La Spezia
- Easy Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Florence & Pisa from La Spezia
- Florence from La Spezia
- Lucca & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from La Spezia
- Lucca, Pisa & the Grotta del Vento
- Portofino & Portovenere from La Spezia
- Authentic Tuscany (countryside, villages, artisan cheese & pasta)
- Chianti Winery Tour & Tasting
- Chianti’s Charming Villages
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from Livorno
- Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Cooking Class in Tuscany
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from Livorno
- Easy Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Florence & Lucca
- Florence & Pisa from Livorno
- Florence & Pisa plus a taste of Chianti
- Florence & San Gimignano
- Florence & The Mall
- Florence for Kids & Pisa
- Jewish Treasures of Tuscany from Livorno
- Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from Livorno
- Lucca & San Gimignano or Volterra + optional winery
- Lucca half day (4 hrs)
- Pisa half day (4 hrs)
- San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
- San Gimignano, Siena & Monteriggioni Castle
- Volterra (5-7 hrs)
- Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
- Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region
- Etna & Taormina from Messina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Messina (opt. winery)
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina with private guide