Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
The perfect combination for a satisfying but shorter tour day. Lucca, with its graceful Renaissance architecture, is a very satisfying substitute for Florence with far less driving. Kid-friendly.
A NOTE ABOUT DRIVING TIMES
From the port of Livorno you couldn’t ask for shorter driving times: Livorno-Pisa, 25-30 min; Pisa-Lucca, 25-30 min; Lucca-Livorno, 30-40 min.
The primary component of this excursion is Lucca, an elegant city best known for its imposing exterior walls, the top of which has been transformed into a unique urban greenspace. Pisa, where we’ll tarry briefly to have a look at the Leaning Tower, is a convenient stop on the way to Lucca.
Being a 6-7 hour service we have a fair bit of flexibility with regard to the start time and order. If you’d like to climb the Leaning Tower of Pisa we recommend an 8am start and going to Pisa first, especially in summer (to beat the crowds and heat).
On Pisa's “Campo dei Miracoli” you will find not only the world’s most famous bell tower but also the cathedral, baptistery and cemetery, which are all remarkable monuments.
Although our visit of Pisa is brief, there is time to climb the Leaning Tower; it only takes 15 minutes. You'll still have time to see how many creative shots you can get of your group "holding up" the Leaning Tower.
- The Tower climb is OPTIONAL for an additional fee and must be pre-booked. Children under 8 not permitted to climb.
- If you'd like to enter the baptistery (acoustics demonstration on the hour and half hour) or campo santo, tickets should be booked in advance.
- The Pisa cathedral does not open til 10am. Frankly we don't recommend going inside but if it's imperative you should let us know in advance. Note that with some excursions it might not be possible to modify the schedule to accommodate this.
Lucca Our itinerary in Lucca includes:
- a panoramic drive around the ancient walls
- the Romanesque church of San Frediano (monumental golden mosaic on the facade)
- Piazza dell’Anfiteatro, site of the former Roman amphitheater
- church of San Michele in Foro (intricately carved facade dating back to the 13th Century)
- Piazza Napoleone
- the cathedral of San Martino, featuring the sculpture of Ilaria del Carretto, deemed the most beautiful funerary monument in Italy and a work of art to compare with Michelangelo’s David, and the Volto Santo, a wooden crucifix dating back to the 8th century, the subject of much lore.
DURATION: 6-7 hrs
OTHER COSTS & NOTES
The following rates for optional items that we book for you are valid if you pay in cash, and reflect 10% off the full rates that apply when paying by card or Paypal.
- PISA OTHER COSTS
- Leaning Tower of Pisa (open daily), 22 Euro per person
Children under the age of 8 are not permitted to climb the Leaning Tower. The price of pre-booked tickets is subject to change (due to increases implemented by the issuing organization and not having to do with us).
- CHURCH DRESS CODE
Proper attire is required to enter churches (bare shoulders must be covered and shorts/skirts must come down to your knees).
look for other excursions from Livorno
Otherwise you can search:ALPHABETICALLY BY PORT
BY AREA OF INTEREST
BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
- Chianti Winery Tour & Tasting
- Chianti’s Charming Villages
- Cinque Terre
- Cinque Terre & Pisa
- Cooking Class in Tuscany
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre)
- Easy Cinque Terre
- Florence & Lucca
- Florence & Pisa
- Florence & Pisa plus a taste of Chianti
- Florence & San Gimignano
- Florence & The Mall
- Florence for Kids & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo
- Lucca & San Gimignano or Volterra + optional winery
- Lucca half day (4 hrs)
- Pisa half day (4 hrs)
- San Gimignano & Siena
- San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
- Volterra (5-7 hrs)
- Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
- Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region