Villa Lante, Viterbo & Montefiascone
A lot of variety — historic gardens, a sampling of architecture, lake view panoramas — without a lot of driving.
A NOTE ABOUT DRIVING TIMES
About 2.5 hours total.
Typically we start in Viterbo, about an hour’s drive from port.
Architecture enthsiasts will appreciate Viterbo, as it one of the best-preserved Medieval cities in central Italy and contains many architectural points of interest covering various centuries and styles. In the 12th century Viterbo became a favourite residence of the Popes, hosting the papacy for a couple of decades in the 13th century. Today the Palazzo dei Papi (Palace of the Popes) is one of the most popular attractions in Viterbo.
Visitors will also be fascinated by stories of the city’s yearly procession of the macchina di Santa Rosa — a 100-foot decorative tower honouring Santa Rosa, the city’s patron saint. Every year on September 3 the tower is carried through the streets of Viterbo on the backs of 100 local men.
Villa Lante (closed Mondays)
Villa Lante is a noble property from the late 15th/early 16th centuries featuring Mannerist gardens of surprise. The Mannerist style emerged in the late Renaissance, when art was considered to have reached its apex. Movement and drama are central to the style, as can be seen in paintings and sculpture from the period as well as these fascinating gardens. The nobles who commissioned them were attracted by the idea of surprise and novelty in the garden’s design for the purpose of impressing their guests at outdoor parties. Enjoy the splendor of a bygone era as you stroll amongst the big shade trees, fountains and water features. If you love gardens you may very well never want to leave.
Lake Bolsena is quite popular due to its beauty and is a nice choice if you’re seeking natural vistas and a breath of fresh air. Montefiascone sits at the highest point on the lake, offering visitors stunning views and interesting stories of its past.
DURATION: 8-9 hrs
OTHER COSTS & NOTES
- Entrance fee for Villa Lante, 5 Euro pp, paid directly at the admissions desk
Villa Lante is closed on Mondays.
look for other excursions from Civitavecchia
Otherwise you can search:ALPHABETICALLY BY PORT
BY AREA OF INTEREST
BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
- Etna & Taormina from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto with private guide all day
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from La Spezia
- Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from La Spezia
- Easy Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Florence & Pisa from La Spezia
- Florence from La Spezia
- Lucca & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from La Spezia
- Portofino & Portovenere from La Spezia
- Authentic Tuscany (countryside, villages, artisan cheese & pasta)
- Chianti Winery Tour & Tasting
- Chianti’s Charming Villages
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from Livorno
- Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Cooking Class in Tuscany
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from Livorno
- Easy Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Florence & Lucca
- Florence & Pisa from Livorno
- Florence & Pisa plus a taste of Chianti
- Florence & San Gimignano
- Florence & The Mall
- Florence for Kids & Pisa
- Jewish Treasures of Tuscany from Livorno
- Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from Livorno
- Lucca & San Gimignano or Volterra + optional winery
- Lucca half day (4 hrs)
- San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
- San Gimignano, Siena & Monteriggioni Castle
- Volterra (5-7 hrs)
- Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
- Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region
- Etna & Taormina from Messina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Messina (opt. winery)
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina with private guide