Chianti’s Charming Villages
If you are dreaming of a day winding through the picturesque Chianti hills and enjoying some of the sweetest villages Tuscany has to offer, this tour is for you!
A NOTE ABOUT DRIVING TIMES
While Chianti is spectacular it should be noted that there is a fair bit of driving involved to get there and back (about 90 minutes going and 2 hours coming back). For a Medieval experience with less driving we recommend Volterra by itself (also a nice choice for a shorter day trip) or combined with San Gimignano.
The Chianti villages on our itinerary will give you an array of architectural eye-candy and a glimpse into Italy’s past, covering the gamut from the Etruscans to the Romans to the Medieval. (This service can be customized in a number of ways; please write or call to discuss.)
DETAILS: CHIANTI’S CHARMING VILLAGES from Livorno
Badia a Passignano, noted for its abbey built by Vallumbrosan monks in the 11th century, and Montefioralle, a Medieval borgo deemed “one of the most beautiful hamlets in Italy” will transport you back in time to the Medieval. Greve in Chianti, on the other hand, offers a Renaissance architectural esthetic, and in the main piazza with its lovely porticoes you will find an array of shops (including some noteworthy food shops) and boutiques. History buffs will note the monument to Giovanni da Verrazzano, the explorer of the Atlantic coast of North America who discovered, among other things, the Hudson River.
For lunch we recommend Ristoro di Lamole where the service and food and view are all spectacular (cost of lunch not included). The dishes are based on classic Tuscan recipes but with some inventive twists and beautiful presentation, more upscale than your typical trattoria but every bit as tasty. The wine list and service are excellent; the view from the terrace perhaps even better. Read their reviews on TripAdvisor.
After lunch, time permitting, we’ll visit Volpaia, with it’s impeccably restored and maintained vernacular architecture of early Tuscany.
We can customize the itinerary to include different villages, such as Castellina in Chianti, according to your interest.
CHIANTI ‘S CHARMING VILLAGES from Livorno
DURATION: 9 hrs
look for other excursions from Livorno
Otherwise you can search:ALPHABETICALLY BY PORT
BY AREA OF INTEREST
BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from La Spezia
- Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from La Spezia
- Easy Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Florence & Pisa from La Spezia
- Lucca & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from La Spezia
- Lucca, Pisa & the Grotta del Vento
- Portofino & Portovenere from La Spezia
- Authentic Tuscany (countryside, villages, artisan cheese & pasta)
- Chianti Winery Tour & Tasting
- Chianti’s Charming Villages
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from Livorno
- Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Cooking Class in Tuscany
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from Livorno
- Easy Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Florence & Lucca
- Florence & Pisa from Livorno
- Florence & Pisa plus a taste of Chianti
- Florence & San Gimignano
- Florence & The Mall
- Florence for Kids & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from Livorno
- Lucca & San Gimignano or Volterra + optional winery
- Lucca half day (4 hrs)
- Pisa half day (4 hrs)
- San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
- San Gimignano, Siena & Monteriggioni Castle
- Volterra (5-7 hrs)
- Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
- Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region