Traditional villages: Pyrgos, Megalochori & Emporio (4 hrs)
Off-the-beaten path, quiet, authentic Greek villages.
A NOTE ABOUT DRIVING TIMES
Minimal — about 40 minutes in total.
This excursion is a good choice for those who dislike crowded tourist places.
While each of the places on this itinerary has its particular charm, the common theme amongst Pyrgos, Megalochori & Emporio is the character of a bygone era yet unspoiled by tourism. Local pride is active and evident in these parts; both individuals and businesses are putting forth a noble effort to preserve the traditional aspects and beauty of their respective villages.
As you stroll the mazes of cobbled streets in these traditional villages you’ll encounter whitewashed houses, restored mansions, inviting squares and blue-domed churches, as well as welcoming cafés, shops and restaurants. In the pretty main squares you can experience the lively environment of small-town Greece (especially at lunchtime).
Pyrgos was a typical fortress settlement of the Cyclades, and its Medieval aspects are still intact in the Kasteli neighbourhood (be sure to eat your Wheaties and wear your climbing shoes!). In Pyrgos you can also find several small galleries and elegant places to eat, as well as a little museum of icons and relics.
Megalochori is considered one of the most picturesque villages on the island. Set in the wine country, its story is connected to the wealth that came from the exportation of Vinsanto, which is still produced in the area. Historical mansions and traditional houses recall its past. Read more about Megalochori.
Emporio is the largest village on Santorini. At one time it was the centre of commercial affairs (emporio means “trade” in Greek). Today it is known for its beautiful houses and yards. Nearby are the ruins of the tower of Nimborio (also called “Goulas”), part of the town’s defenses under Venetian rule, dating back to about the 15th century.
DURATION: 4 hrs
OTHER COSTS & NOTES
The following rates for optional items that we book for you are valid if you pay in cash, and reflect 10% off the full rates that apply when paying by card or Paypal.
- SANTORINI OTHER COSTS
- The cable car or donkey ride to get up to the meeting point in Fira costs 6 Euro pp, to be paid on the spot in cash (cannot be pre-booked)
- Black beach umbrella/chaise rental, 30 Euro pp
- Akrotiri ruins entrance fee, 12 Euro pp
- Local guide: 4 hrs, 300 Euro*
*If the tour falls on a Sunday or Bank Holiday a supplement of 140 Euro per guide applies.
Look for other excursions from Santorini
Otherwise you can search:ALPHABETICALLY BY PORT
BY AREA OF INTEREST
BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
- Etna & Taormina from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto with private guide all day
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from La Spezia
- Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from La Spezia
- Easy Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Florence & Pisa from La Spezia
- Florence from La Spezia
- Lucca & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from La Spezia
- Lucca, Pisa & the Grotta del Vento
- Portofino & Portovenere from La Spezia
- Authentic Tuscany (countryside, villages, artisan cheese & pasta)
- Chianti Winery Tour & Tasting
- Chianti’s Charming Villages
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from Livorno
- Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Cooking Class in Tuscany
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from Livorno
- Easy Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Florence & Lucca
- Florence & Pisa from Livorno
- Florence & Pisa plus a taste of Chianti
- Florence & San Gimignano
- Florence & The Mall
- Florence for Kids & Pisa
- Jewish Treasures of Tuscany from Livorno
- Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from Livorno
- Lucca & San Gimignano or Volterra + optional winery
- Lucca half day (4 hrs)
- Pisa half day (4 hrs)
- San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
- San Gimignano, Siena & Monteriggioni Castle
- Volterra (5-7 hrs)
- Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
- Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region
- Etna & Taormina from Messina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Messina (opt. winery)
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina with private guide