Èze, Nice & St. Paul de Vence
Èze and St. Paul de Vence, two Medieval hilltop villages plus the funky grandeur of Nice.
A NOTE ABOUT DRIVING TIMES
About 2 hours in total.
This excursion is a combination of contrasts; the grand scale of Nice with its quirky blend of traditional and modern is starkly different from the Medieval hamlets of Èze and St. Paul de Vence.
DETAILS: ÈZE, NICE & ST. PAUL DE VENCE from Cannes or Antibes
The day begins with a panoramic drive on the “Corniches”, the cliff-side roads traversing the Mediterranean coastline to the east of Nice. As we head towards Èze, perched on a hill 1400 feet above sea level, you’ll get a first-hand look at this dramatic section of the Azure Coast where the Alps drop precipitously down to the sea. (Classic movie lovers may recall scenes from To Catch a Thief, shot by Alfred Hitchcock on the Grande Corniche in the 1950’s.)
In Èze you will be enchanted by the beauty of the village, its winding narrow streets and stunning views of the coast. Those interested in history will have lots to learn about; Èze has been populated for some 2,000 years and was inhabited by all sorts of ancient cultures including the Greeks, Phoenicians, Moors and Romans. In more modern times it was a fortress in the Republic of Genoa (Italy).
In Baroque Old Town you'll get a sense of the splendour of the Belle Epoque, when the wealthy of Europe (particularly from colder climates) came south for the winter, building lavish homes and luxurious hotels. As you take in the Promenade des Anglais, Hotel Negresco and the Russian Church you're sure to relive the opulence of a bygone era.
Today Old Town is home to a vibrant farmers market in Cours Saleya, particularly known for its flowers of every colour and kind. Sample some local culinary specialties or go for a dip in the sea and you'll have experienced "Nissa la Bella" (as it was named in the 19th century) with all your senses.
St. Paul de Vence
Standing on a rocky spur in the back country of the French Riviera, St. Paul is one of the oldest Medieval places in the Côte d’Azur and perhaps one of the most beautiful villages in all of France. Besides giving you spectacular views of the surrounding terrain, the village is a living testament to its rich past; the 16th century bastioned fortifications that encircle the city are still marvelously intact. Today Saint Paul is a flourishing center for art and artists, noted for its many art galleries and museums. Here you will find beautiful shops, many featuring local handicrafts, nestled among the stone buildings and abounding bougainvillea.
ÈZE, NICE & ST. PAUL DE VENCE from Cannes or Antibes
DURATION: 8 hrs
OTHER COSTS & NOTES
- CHURCH DRESS CODE
Proper attire is required to enter churches (bare shoulders must be covered and shorts/skirts must come down to your knees).
look for other excursions from Cannes or Antibes
Otherwise you can search:ALPHABETICALLY BY PORT
BY AREA OF INTEREST
BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from La Spezia
- Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from La Spezia
- Easy Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Florence & Pisa from La Spezia
- Lucca & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from La Spezia
- Lucca, Pisa & the Grotta del Vento
- Portofino & Portovenere from La Spezia
- Authentic Tuscany (countryside, villages, artisan cheese & pasta)
- Chianti Winery Tour & Tasting
- Chianti’s Charming Villages
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from Livorno
- Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Cooking Class in Tuscany
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from Livorno
- Easy Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Florence & Lucca
- Florence & Pisa from Livorno
- Florence & Pisa plus a taste of Chianti
- Florence & San Gimignano
- Florence & The Mall
- Florence for Kids & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from Livorno
- Lucca & San Gimignano or Volterra + optional winery
- Lucca half day (4 hrs)
- Pisa half day (4 hrs)
- San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
- San Gimignano, Siena & Monteriggioni Castle
- Volterra (5-7 hrs)
- Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
- Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region