The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina with private guide
Enjoy the sophistication and history of Taormina plus the small-town charm of “The Godfather” villages, Savoca and Forza d’Agrò, with a private guide for the full day.
A NOTE ABOUT DRIVING TIMES
About 3 hours in total.
DETAILS: THE “GODFATHER” VILLAGES & TAORMINA WITH PRIVATE GUIDE from Catania or Giardini-Naxos
In Sicily we are able to offer an exceptional level of service for a moderate price. Here you can have both a driver AND a private guide for not a whole lot more than our standard driver-guide service. It's great because the guide can accompany you when you leave the vehicle, which makes visiting places a richer experience.
On a rocky hilltop, amidst vineyards and groves of citrus and olives, emerges the Medieval hamlet of Savoca. Known to tourists as one of the two locations where Francis Ford Coppola shot scenes for The Godfather, Savoca is reputed amongst Italians as one of the loveliest villages in the country.
Here time seems to have stood still. Enjoy the almost mystic silence, lush wooded territory and views of the Gulf of Taormina, or visit some of the locations made famous by Coppola's capolavoro.
When you stroll its narrow, stone-paved streets (not passable by cars) you will understand why Coppola chose Forza d’Agrò as a filming location. Enjoy the peaceful atmosphere and fascinating old churches, or climb the winding streets to the ruins of the Norman castle that dominates the village.
Perched high on a cliff overlooking the Ionian Sea, Taormina is a beautiful place with a great story to tell. It was inhabited prior to the the arrival of the Ancient Greeks, who established Taormina as one their earliest colonies in Sicily. Today you can touch still touch this part of Taormina's past by visiting the Greek Theatre, which is in excellent condition and offers stunning views of the brilliant blue sea with Mt. Etna beyond. (If history and scenery aren't your thing there are lots of shops and restaurants to explore.)
Over the millennia, as in so many parts of Sicily, Taormina has been influenced by many diverse peoples and cultures -- everything from the Moors to the Normans to the Crown of Aragon to the Bourbons -- which can still be seen in its architecture. Its prosperity has endured throughout the various eras, evidenced today by the elegance and size of its cathedral and many of its buildings.
By the end of the 19th century Taormina had become a haven for artists, writers and intellectuals, attracting such notable visitors as Oscar Wilde, Richard Wagner and Tsar Nicholas II. Today the town is host to a variety of arts festivals encompassing film, music, dance and theatre.
THE “GODFATHER” VILLAGES & TAORMINA WITH PRIVATE GUIDE from Catania or Giardini-Naxos
DURATION: 8-9 hrs
The rates include vehicle & driver PLUS the private guide all day. Because we need to leave a spot in the van for the guide, the maximum number of passengers in a minivan is 7. Groups of 8 will require a larger vehicle and a supplement of 120 Euro applies.
look for other excursions from Catania, Giardini-Naxos, Syracuse or Taormina
Otherwise you can search:ALPHABETICALLY BY PORT
BY AREA OF INTEREST
BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
- Etna & Taormina from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto with private guide all day
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from La Spezia
- Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from La Spezia
- Easy Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Florence & Pisa from La Spezia
- Florence from La Spezia
- Lucca & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from La Spezia
- Lucca, Pisa & the Grotta del Vento
- Portofino & Portovenere from La Spezia
- Authentic Tuscany (countryside, villages, artisan cheese & pasta)
- Chianti Winery Tour & Tasting
- Chianti’s Charming Villages
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from Livorno
- Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Cooking Class in Tuscany
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from Livorno
- Easy Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Florence & Lucca
- Florence & Pisa from Livorno
- Florence & Pisa plus a taste of Chianti
- Florence & San Gimignano
- Florence & The Mall
- Florence for Kids & Pisa
- Jewish Treasures of Tuscany from Livorno
- Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from Livorno
- Lucca & San Gimignano or Volterra + optional winery
- Lucca half day (4 hrs)
- Pisa half day (4 hrs)
- San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
- San Gimignano, Siena & Monteriggioni Castle
- Volterra (5-7 hrs)
- Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
- Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region
- Etna & Taormina from Messina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Messina (opt. winery)
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina with private guide