San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
A day of Medieval wonder in the Tuscan countryside — with far less driving than going all the way to Siena!
A NOTE ABOUT DRIVING TIMES
Livorno-San Gimignano, 90 min; San Gimi-Volterra, 45 min; Volterra-Livorno, 75 min.
Both San Gimignano and Volterra are set in the midst of a particularly picturesque section of Tuscany. Volterra is a gem, and clients frequently tell us they loved it because it feels yet unspoiled by tourism. The optional winery visit takes place at Podere La Marronaia, where you have the choice of a simple tasting or lunch.
DETAILS: SAN GIMIGNANO & VOLTERRA from Livorno
Typically we stop in San Gimignano first, when crowds are fewer, and stay for about 90 minutes, which is ample time for most clients. We feel there are more things to see in Volterra and budget most of the day there; however the timelines are flexible without the winery.
- 08.00 pick up at the ship
- 08.00-09.30 drive to San Gimignano
- 09.30-11.00 San Gimignano
- 11.00-11.45 drive to Volterra
- 11.45-15.45 Volterra
- 15.45-17.00 drive back to port
If you’d like to include the simple wine tasting we’d trim 15 minutes off San Gimignano to arrive at the winery at 11am. We’d leave the winery around noon and be in Volterra around 1pm.
If you’d like to have lunch at the winery the itinerary would be along these lines:
- 08.00 pick up at the ship
- 08.00-09.15 drive to Volterra
- 09.15-11.30 Volterra
- 11.30-12.15 drive to the winery
- 12.15-13.45 lunch at Podere La Marronaia
- 13.45-14.00 drive to San Gimignano
- 14.00-15.30 San Gimignano
- 17.00 drive back to port
To reach San Gimignano we will pass through the most wonderful Tuscan countryside — classic rolling hills, neatly-rowed vineyards and silvery-green olive groves, a living picture postcard!
San Gimignano, “the Manhattan of Tuscany”, is best known for its watchtowers that were a display of power and prosperity in Medieval times. Although only 14 of San Gimignano’s original 72 towers remain the effect is still dramatic and will give you lots of great photo opps.
Take your time strolling the narrow cobbled streets and open piazzas, and be prepared to step back in time. Art lovers may wish to spend some time in the church of Sant’Agostino to see the charming cycle of frescoes by Benozzo Gozzoli as well as a substantial selection of paintings and sculpture by some of Italy’s major Medieval and Renaissance artists. San Gimignano is also home to award-winning gelato; look for it in the main piazza.
Like San Gimignano, Volterra seems to have been plucked right out the Medieval epoch. The once Etruscan city sits high on a rocky plateau and is protected by Medieval ramparts. You are in a place where the magic of history is still alive!
Volterra is also noted for its alabaster, which comes from the surrounding hills. You will find an array of gorgeous hand crafted alabaster objects on every corner.
We have permission to bring you right up to the main rotonda of Volterra, just a few steps from Piazza dei Priori, saving you the grief of the many, many stairs one must take from public and bus parking.
In Volterra the tour highlights include:
- Piazza dei Priori and the clocktower (made famous by the Twilight series)
- Beautiful shops and boutiques of all sorts
- The Roman theatre
- The 2,500 year old Etruscan wall, a section of which still stands
- Pinacoteca Comunale, with many fine works from the 14th-17th C, including the spectacular Deposition by Rosso Fiorentino
- World-renowned Guarnacci Etruscan museum
- A fascinating torture museum
- Many lookout points from which to enjoy the spectacular countryside
SAN GIMIGNANO & VOLTERRA from Livorno
DURATION: 9 hrs
OTHER COSTS & NOTES
These wine tasting rates are valid if you pay in cash, and reflect 10% off the full rates that apply when paying by card or Paypal.
- OPTIONAL WINERY (Podere La Marronaia)
- Tour & guided tasting with snacks and local cheeses, 33 Euro pp for adults and wine-drinking youths, 20 Euro pp for children over 5
- Tour, guided tasting and lunch, 45 Euro pp for adults and wine-drinking youths, 30 Euro pp for children over 5
look for other excursions from Livorno
Otherwise you can search:ALPHABETICALLY BY PORT
BY AREA OF INTEREST
BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
- Etna & Taormina from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto with private guide all day
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from La Spezia
- Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from La Spezia
- Easy Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Florence & Pisa from La Spezia
- Florence from La Spezia
- Lucca & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from La Spezia
- Portofino & Portovenere from La Spezia
- Authentic Tuscany (countryside, villages, artisan cheese & pasta)
- Chianti Winery Tour & Tasting
- Chianti’s Charming Villages
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from Livorno
- Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Cooking Class in Tuscany
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from Livorno
- Easy Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Florence & Lucca
- Florence & Pisa from Livorno
- Florence & Pisa plus a taste of Chianti
- Florence & San Gimignano
- Florence & The Mall
- Florence for Kids & Pisa
- Jewish Treasures of Tuscany from Livorno
- Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from Livorno
- Lucca & San Gimignano or Volterra + optional winery
- Lucca half day (4 hrs)
- San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
- San Gimignano, Siena & Monteriggioni Castle
- Volterra (5-7 hrs)
- Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
- Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region
- Etna & Taormina from Messina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Messina (opt. winery)
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina with private guide