Erice & Segesta
Perfect for lovers of ancient history, architecture and photography, this excursion is a mix of stunning contrasts. Also great if you have a sweet tooth!
A NOTE ABOUT DRIVING TIMES
About 3.5 hours in total.
Located about 2500 feet above sea level, Erice is a place steeped in history. Founded by the Phoenicians and later coming under Arab and Norman rule, there remain today two castles, Pepoli Castle from Saracen times and Venus (“Venere”) Castle from Norman times. The duomo, the Chiesa Madre (or Matrice), has a very particularly and extremely beautiful interior, especially the intricately carved ceiling vaults. The stone streets are at a pretty good incline but you can reward yourself with some delectable Sicilan treats at a number of astounding bakeries.
One of the most important archeological sites in Sicily, the ruins at Segesta will impress old and young alike. The Doric temple, dating back to the 5th Century BC, was never finished and miraculously avoided destruction by the Carthaginians. It is amazingly well preserved and offers the viewer a few mysteries to solve.
The Greek theatre is also quite impressive, not only for its excellent condition but also for the stunning views of the surrounding valleys.
DURATION: 9 hrs
look for other excursions from Palermo
Otherwise you can search:ALPHABETICALLY BY PORT
BY AREA OF INTEREST
BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
- Authentic Tuscany (countryside, villages, artisan cheese & pasta)
- Chianti Winery Tour & Tasting
- Chianti’s Charming Villages
- Cinque Terre
- Cinque Terre & Pisa
- Cooking Class in Tuscany
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre)
- Easy Cinque Terre
- Florence & Lucca
- Florence & Pisa
- Florence & Pisa plus a taste of Chianti
- Florence & San Gimignano
- Florence & The Mall
- Florence for Kids & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo
- Lucca & San Gimignano or Volterra + optional winery
- Lucca half day (4 hrs)
- Pisa half day (4 hrs)
- San Gimignano & Siena
- San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
- Volterra (5-7 hrs)
- Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
- Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region