Florence & Lucca
Florence & Lucca: the two loveliest Renaissance cities in Tuscany, and a shopper’s paradise.
A NOTE ABOUT DRIVING TIMES
A little over 3 hours, not outrageous for Tuscany.
DETAILS: FLORENCE & LUCCA from Livorno
If you have young children, Lucca is a great kid-friendly place. You can stroll the ancient wall and let your kids run off some steam, or rent bikes (for reasonable cost) and cruise around together. There are lots of big shade trees so it is quite pleasant even in the heat of summer. Climbing Guinigi Tower is a great way to get some exercise and there is no minimum age requirement (as compared to the Leaning Tower of Pisa, where kids have to be at least 8 to climb).
If you think the top of the wall is cool, wait til you see underneath it! The cavernous, brick-vaulted interior of the wall (yes, the wall is so massive that there are warehouse-sized spaces inside it) is not only a beautiful and peaceful space but also home to crazy works of art in paper. Every two years Lucca is home to the world's biggest festival of paper art, the Lucca Biennale.
Lucca also features beautiful shops (major fashion brands as well as boutiques brimming with artisan creations), really good gelato and excellent cuisine.
Our agenda in Lucca includes:
- a panoramic drive around the ancient walls
- the Romanesque church of San Frediano (monumental golden mosaic on the facade)
- Piazza dell’Anfiteatro, site of the former Roman amphitheater
- church of San Michele in Foro (intricately carved facade dating back to the 13th Century)
- Piazza Napoleone
- the cathedral of San Martino, featuring Jacopo della Quercia's sculpture of Ilaria del Carretto, deemed the most beautiful funerary monument in Italy and a work of art to compare with Michelangelo’s David, and the Volto Santo, a wooden crucifix dating back to the 8th century, the subject of much lore.
After about a 75 minute drive from Lucca we’ll be in Florence, where you’ll spend the balance of the day amidst the beauty and history that all started with the Medici family. Your driver-guide will give you basic information about nearby sights and the city’s past but you might want to consider a local guide if you like lots of detail or want to be accompanied on foot. Details at the end, following the Rate table.
Highlights of Florence include:
- Piazzale Michelangelo (photo stop for panoramic shots of the city)
- Santa Croce (when possible)
- Piazza del Duomo (cathedral, baptistery, bell tower)
- Piazza della Signoria, Palazzo Vecchio
- Porcellino Market, Ponte Vecchio
A note about galleries in Florence: Because time is limited in Florence it’s a bit of a squeeze to include the Accademia gallery. There really is not time for the Uffizi.
FLORENCE & LUCCA from Livorno
DURATION: 9 hrs
OTHER COSTS & NOTES
The following rates for optional items that we book for you are valid if you pay in cash, and reflect 10% off the full rates that apply when paying by card or Paypal.
- FLORENCE OTHER COSTS
- Classic highlights of Florence, 3 hours, 195 Euro
- Florence for Kids walking tour, 3 hours, 195 Euro
- Florence for Kids walking tour, 4 hours (required if you want to go into the Accademia gallery with the guide), 260 Euro
- Florence of the Medici, 4 hours, 260 Euro
- Accademia gallery (closed MONDAYS) 20 Euro per adult, 4 Euro for youths age 6-17, children under 6 free
- Uffizi gallery (closed MONDAYS) 28 Euro per adult, 4 Euro for youths age 6-17, children under 6 free
- All-inclusive tickets for cathedral/cupola climb/baptistery/belltower climb and the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo (closed the FIRST TUESDAY of every month), 24 Euro pp for those over the age of 11, 5 Euro for children age 6-11, children under 6 free
Groups of 7 or more persons with a guide require headsets, 4 Euro per person
The price of pre-booked tickets is subject to change (due to increases implemented by the issuing organization and not having to do with us).
- CHURCH DRESS CODE
Proper attire is required to enter churches (bare shoulders must be covered and shorts/skirts must come down to your knees).
look for other excursions from Livorno
Otherwise you can search:ALPHABETICALLY BY PORT
BY AREA OF INTEREST
BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
- Etna & Taormina from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto with private guide all day
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from La Spezia
- Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from La Spezia
- Easy Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Florence & Pisa from La Spezia
- Florence from La Spezia
- Lucca & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from La Spezia
- Portofino & Portovenere from La Spezia
- Authentic Tuscany (countryside, villages, artisan cheese & pasta)
- Chianti Winery Tour & Tasting
- Chianti’s Charming Villages
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from Livorno
- Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Cooking Class in Tuscany
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from Livorno
- Easy Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Florence & Lucca
- Florence & Pisa from Livorno
- Florence & Pisa plus a taste of Chianti
- Florence & San Gimignano
- Florence & The Mall
- Florence for Kids & Pisa
- Jewish Treasures of Tuscany from Livorno
- Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from Livorno
- Lucca & San Gimignano or Volterra + optional winery
- Lucca half day (4 hrs)
- San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
- San Gimignano, Siena & Monteriggioni Castle
- Volterra (5-7 hrs)
- Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
- Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region
- Etna & Taormina from Messina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Messina (opt. winery)
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina with private guide