Florence & Lucca
The two loveliest and best-know Renaissance cities in Tuscany. Also a shopper’s paradise.
A NOTE ABOUT DRIVING TIMES
A little over 3 hours, not outrageous for Tuscany.
Lucca Our itinerary in Lucca includes:
- a panoramic drive around the ancient walls
- the Romanesque church of San Frediano (monumental golden mosaic on the facade)
- Piazza dell’Anfiteatro, site of the former Roman amphitheater
- church of San Michele in Foro (intricately carved facade dating back to the 13th Century)
- Piazza Napoleone
- the cathedral of San Martino, featuring the sculpture of Ilaria del Carretto, deemed the most beautiful funerary monument in Italy and a work of art to compare with Michelangelo’s David, and the Volto Santo, a wooden crucifix dating back to the 8th century, the subject of much lore.
After about a 75 minute drive from Lucca we’ll be in Florence, where you’ll spend the balance of the day amidst the beauty and history that all started with the Medici family. Your driver-guide will give you basic information about nearby sights and the city’s past but you might want to consider a local guide if you like lots of detail or want to be accompanied on foot. Details at the end, following the Rate table.
Highlights of Florence include:
- Piazzale Michelangelo (photo stop for panoramic shots of the city)
- Santa Croce (when possible)
- Piazza del Duomo (cathedral, baptistery, bell tower)
- Piazza della Signoria, Palazzo Vecchio
- Porcellino Market, Ponte Vecchio
A note about galleries in Florence: Because time is limited in Florence it’s a bit of a squeeze to include the Accademia gallery. There really is not time for the Uffizi.
DURATION: 9 hrs
OTHER COSTS & NOTES
The following rates for optional items that we book for you are valid if you pay in cash, and reflect 10% off the full rates that apply when paying by card or Paypal.
- FLORENCE OTHER COSTS
- Classic highlights of Florence, 3 hours, 195 Euro
- Florence for Kids walking tour, 3 hours, 195 Euro
- Florence for Kids walking tour, 4 hours (required if you want to go into the Accademia gallery with the guide), 260 Euro
- Accademia gallery (closed MONDAYS) 20 Euro per adult, 4 Euro for youths age 6-17, children under 6 free
- Uffizi gallery (closed MONDAYS) 28 Euro per adult, 4 Euro for youths age 6-17, children under 6 free
- All-inclusive tickets for cathedral/cupola climb/baptistery/belltower climb and the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo (closed the FIRST TUESDAY of every month), 22 Euro pp for those over the age of 11, 5 Euro for children age 6-11, children under 6 free
Groups of 7 or more persons with a guide require headsets, 4 Euro per person
The price of pre-booked tickets is subject to change (due to increases implemented by the issuing organization and not having to do with us).
- CHURCH DRESS CODE
Proper attire is required to enter churches (bare shoulders must be covered and shorts/skirts must come down to your knees).
look for other excursions from Livorno
Otherwise you can search:ALPHABETICALLY BY PORT
BY AREA OF INTEREST
BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
- Chianti Winery Tour & Tasting
- Chianti’s Charming Villages
- Cinque Terre
- Cinque Terre & Pisa
- Cooking Class in Tuscany
- Easy Cinque Terre
- Florence & Lucca
- Florence & Pisa
- Florence & Pisa plus a taste of Chianti
- Florence & San Gimignano
- Florence & The Mall
- Florence for Kids & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo
- Lucca & San Gimignano or Volterra + optional winery
- Lucca half day (4 hrs)
- Pisa half day (4 hrs)
- San Gimignano & Siena
- San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
- Volterra (5-7 hrs)
- Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
- Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region