Cretan Olive Oil & Wine Tasting (3.5 hrs)
A NOTE ABOUT DRIVING TIMES
75 min in total.
DETAILS: CRETAN OLIVE OIL & WINE TASTING from Chania/Souda
Kanakis Olive Oil Factory
The cultivation of olive trees and the production of olive oil in Greece is pretty much a sacred art. The Greeks are extremely proud of their olive oil, and the oil produced at Kanakis is of exceptional quality and flavour.
After a 30-minute drive from port, passing through very lovely countryside, we’ll arrive at the village of Vrises where Kanakis is located. The factory boasts cutting-edge production facility but the welcome and atmosphere of the tasting room and shop is warm and welcoming. You can sample their award-winning extra virgin olive oil of different categories such as PDO, PGI and organic, which is for sale in a variety of sizes and packaging.
In the shop you’ll also find a huge assortment of olives in convenient vacuum-sealed packs, as well as a variety of beautiful products made from olive wood (the little shallow dishes for displaying olives on your table are particularly nice to bring home as gifts). The patio outside the tasting room is a lovely place to sit and savour a Greek coffee while you soak in the peaceful surroundings.
At the Dourakis winery you will experience a dream realized. After studying in Germany and working at several wineries in Greece, Andrea Dourakis embarked on his own wine making journey, inspired by his childhood memories that one day he could own a winery that would produce multiple varieties of wine reflecting the uniqueness and richness of the Cretan land.
In the spring of 1988, Andrea proudly opened the doors of the winery we see today, with three varietals for his first visitors to taste. Since then, the winery has not only grown in size and production, but has also become a cultural center, offering culinary lessons, hosting art exhibitions and book presentations, concerts, and personal celebrations.
The Dourakis family now produces 17 varietals, mainly from grapes that are indigenous to Crete, but also from international varieties. Their flagship reds are appropriately named κῦδος — Kudos, which has been adopted into the English language to give praise for exceptional achievement. In Greek the word means “magical glory”, perhaps a more fitting description for the story behind these bottles.
CRETAN OLIVE OIL & WINE TASTING from Chania/Souda
DURATION: 3.5 hrs
OTHER COSTS & NOTES
Olive oil tasting, 5 Euro pp, to be paid in cash onsite.
Wine tasting, 19 Euro pp, to be paid in cash onsite.
Otherwise you can search:ALPHABETICALLY BY PORT
BY AREA OF INTEREST
BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
- Etna & Taormina from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Catania-Taormina (opt. winery)
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto
- Syracuse & Taormina or Noto with private guide all day
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Catania-Taormina with private guide
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from La Spezia
- Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from La Spezia
- Easy Cinque Terre from La Spezia
- Florence & Pisa from La Spezia
- Florence from La Spezia
- Lucca & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from La Spezia
- Lucca, Pisa & the Grotta del Vento
- Portofino & Portovenere from La Spezia
- Authentic Tuscany (countryside, villages, artisan cheese & pasta)
- Chianti Winery Tour & Tasting
- Chianti’s Charming Villages
- Cinque Terre & Pisa from Livorno
- Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Cooking Class in Tuscany
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre) from Livorno
- Easy Cinque Terre from Livorno
- Florence & Lucca
- Florence & Pisa from Livorno
- Florence & Pisa plus a taste of Chianti
- Florence & San Gimignano
- Florence & The Mall
- Florence for Kids & Pisa
- Jewish Treasures of Tuscany from Livorno
- Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo from Livorno
- Lucca & San Gimignano or Volterra + optional winery
- Lucca half day (4 hrs)
- Pisa half day (4 hrs)
- San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
- San Gimignano, Siena & Monteriggioni Castle
- Volterra (5-7 hrs)
- Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
- Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region
- Etna & Taormina from Messina (opt. winery)
- Etna & Taormina with private guide from Messina (opt. winery)
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina
- Taormina, Castelmola & Savoca from Messina with private guide
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina
- The “Godfather” villages & Taormina from Messina with private guide