Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region
Step back in time to the Medieval, then zoom ahead to the modern phenomenon of Super Tuscan winemaking in Bolgheri.
A NOTE ABOUT DRIVING TIMES
Moderate driving times for Tuscany: Livorno-Volterra, 75 min; Volterra-Bolgheri, 60 min; Bolgheri-Livorno, 60 min
Like San Gimignano, Volterra seems to have been plucked right out the Medieval epoch. The once Etruscan city sits high on a rocky plateau and is protected by Medieval ramparts. You are in a place where the magic of history is still alive!
Volterra is also noted for its alabaster, which comes from the surrounding hills. You will find an array of gorgeous hand crafted alabaster objects on every corner.
An audio guided tour, not too long and very well done, is available in the tourist office in Piazza dei Priori for a reasonable fee.
We have permission to park in the historic center of Volterra, saving you the grief of the many, many stairs one must take from public and bus parking.
In Volterra highlights include:
- Piazza dei Priori and the clocktower (made famous by the Twilight series)
- Beautiful shops and boutiques of all sorts
- The Roman theatre
- The 2,500 year old Etruscan wall, a section of which still stands
- Pinacoteca Comunale, with many fine works from the 14th-17th C, including the spectacular Deposition by Rosso Fiorentino
- World-renowned Guarnacci Etruscan museum
- A fascinating torture museum
- Many lookout points from which to enjoy the spectacular countryside
Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region
Welcome to where the Super Tuscan phenomenon began! The wine growing region around Bolgheri, on the coast of Tuscany about an hour south of Livorno, has taken the wine appreciation world by storm only in recent decades.
Here you will learn with your eyes, ears and mouth how grapes not traditionally grown in Italy (such as Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot) come to produce award winning, new world style wines.
In Bolgheri, a quaint Medieval hamlet, you may want to have lunch at Enoteca Tognoni, where you will enjoy a classic tavern atmosphere, excellent food and an incredible selection of wines, Prosecco (Italian sparkling wine), olive oil and balsamic vinegar for purchase that you can also ship home.
DURATION: up to 9 hrs
OTHER COSTS & NOTES
These wine tasting rates are valid if you pay in cash, and reflect 10% off the full rates that apply when paying by card or Paypal.
- SUPER TUSCAN WINE TASTING IN BOLGHERI
- Chiappini, tour + tasting of one white and three reds, 25 Euro pp (min 2 pax)
- Grattamacco, tour + tasting of three reds, 30 Euro pp
- Terre del Marchesato, tour + tasting of two whites and three reds, 25 Euro pp
look for other excursions from Livorno
Otherwise you can search:ALPHABETICALLY BY PORT
BY AREA OF INTEREST
BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
- Chianti Winery Tour & Tasting
- Chianti’s Charming Villages
- Cinque Terre
- Cinque Terre & Pisa
- Cooking Class in Chianti
- Cooking Class in San Miniato
- Easy Cinque Terre
- Florence & Lucca
- Florence & Pisa
- Florence & Pisa plus a taste of Chianti
- Florence & San Gimignano
- Florence & The Mall
- Florence for Kids & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo
- Lucca & San Gimignano or Volterra + optional winery
- Lucca half day (4 hrs)
- Pisa half day (4 hrs)
- San Gimignano & Siena
- San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
- Volterra (5-7 hrs)
- Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
- Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region