Authentic Tuscany (countryside, villages, artisan cheese & pasta)
Rolling countryside, hilltop villages, local cheese, organic pasta, optional wine. Nothing engineered for tourists; just real, authentic Tuscany!
A NOTE ABOUT DRIVING TIMES
Driving times are super-reasonable for Tuscany: an hour to get there, 15 minutes or so between locations, and only 50 minutes on the way back.
This full-on Tuscan immersion will give you an ample dose of the rolling Tuscan countryside, two pretty hilltop villages, two amazing wineries (optional), and two farms that feature lovingly-crafted products from the Tuscan earth.
Only about an hour’s drive from Livorno you will enter a land of picture-postcard scenes where the earth has been richly blessed by Mother Nature.
When you think about Italy, of course pasta, wine and cheese all come to mind; on this excursion you’ll be able to learn about the traditions and methods as well as taste the amazing products.
The itinerary is planned as follows:
- 08.00 pickup at the ship
- 09.00-09.40 visit the Medieval hamlet of Orciatico
- 10.00-10.40 tour of Azienda Agricola Floriddia (ancient grains, artisan pasta)
- 11.00-12.15 tour and wine tasting at Le Palaie
- 12.30-14.00 visit the hilltop village of Peccioli, have lunch if you wish
- 14.15-15.00 tour of Azienda Agricola L’Avvenire (artisan cheeses)
- 15.00-16.15 tour and wine tasting at La Spinetta
- 17.00 back at the ship
The itinerary can be modified to include only one winery, or none.
Of the two farms on the agenda, one is a dairy located on a classic noble property where you can sample cheeses to your heart’s content. The other is a producer of ancient grains set in a breathtaking spot where you’ll be able to see how they mill the grain (still using millstones) and create their array of unusual dried pasta. Both farms implement organic/biodynamic techniques and a humane approach to everything they do.
Wine lovers with a taste for lesser-known but high-quality wines will want to include the wineries in the area of Terricciola. We consider the region one of the best kept secrets of Tuscany. Our favourites are:
- La Spinetta in Casanova
- La Spinetta is a striking, modern facility that offers an expansive sampling in their light-filled tasting room overlooking the vineyards. You can taste products from this family’s world-class wineries in three regions of Italy, everything from sparkling white wine to hearty reds.
- Le Palaie in Peccioli
- On this classic country estate you can enjoy Viognier, rosé and three reds as you sample an assortment of local products.
DURATION: 8-9 hours
OTHER COSTS & NOTES
The following rates for optional items that we book for you are valid if you pay in cash, and reflect 10% off the full rates that apply when paying by card or Paypal.
- OPTIONAL WINERY
- at La Spinetta, 25 Euro per person
- at Le Palaie, 35 Euro per person
Tour and guided tasting accompanied by a variety of local products
look for other excursions from Livorno
Otherwise you can search:ALPHABETICALLY BY PORT
BY AREA OF INTEREST
BY GEOGRAPHIC AREA
- Authentic Tuscany (countryside, villages, artisan cheese & pasta)
- Chianti Winery Tour & Tasting
- Chianti’s Charming Villages
- Cinque Terre
- Cinque Terre & Pisa
- Cooking Class in Tuscany
- Cool Castles & Awesome Art (a family-friendly alternative to Cinque Terre)
- Easy Cinque Terre
- Florence & Lucca
- Florence & Pisa
- Florence & Pisa plus a taste of Chianti
- Florence & San Gimignano
- Florence & The Mall
- Florence for Kids & Pisa
- Lucca & Pisa (7 hrs)
- Lucca & Pisa + winery in Montecarlo
- Lucca & San Gimignano or Volterra + optional winery
- Lucca half day (4 hrs)
- Pisa half day (4 hrs)
- San Gimignano & Siena
- San Gimignano & Volterra + optional winery
- Volterra (5-7 hrs)
- Volterra & Pisa + optional winery
- Volterra, Bolgheri & the Super Tuscan wine region